Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask & Answer Smoke 2013 Questions

51 REPLIES 51
Message 1 of 52
BKM
Advisor
958 Views, 51 Replies

Ask & Answer Smoke 2013 Questions

I was one of the demo artist at NAB and I have had my hands on the Smoke 2013 for about a month.
There is only so much you can gleam from videos and blogs. So if you want any first hand info on features shown at NAB or my impressions, please feel free to ask.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
51 REPLIES 51
Message 41 of 52
Anonymous
in reply to: BKM

I run the post-production department of a small content provider. We are in the middle transitioning from FCP 7 to FCP X. So far I am very happy with X for our workflow (and I am not here to fight about FCP X). My questions have to do with importing FCP X XML to Smoke.

1. We do a lot of Multicam work. Will Multicam timelines transfer to Smoke? If so will the media be flattened or will I some how retain the ability to switch cameras in the Smoke timeline?

2. I understand that nodes can be added to source clips which retain that information when used in the timeline. Can I import a multicam timeline from FCP X, access and grade and color correct a source clip (which has been cut into hundreds of clips in the timeline), and then have all of the timeline clips retain the color correct (or any other filter, mask, or transform) that has been performed on the source clip?

3. Does the audio environment in smoke translate FCP X Roles into tracks? Really any information about how audio travels from one application to the other would be helpful.

We are coming from a situation with FCP 7, where we did very little with graphics and effect in After Effects. Frankly, budgets are tight (as are deadlines) so we have mainly been limited by time constraints. Most of what we have done in the past has been done directly in FCP 7 (sometimes round tripping to Motion, which is a very limited program). I'm hoping that the FCP X to Smoke on Mac pipeline will allow us to up the production value of the content we produce.
Message 42 of 52
yunsiknoh
in reply to: Robert.Adam

I see. I guess I will wait for the beta release.
I hope Smoke 2013 works with OSX 10.6.7.

Thank you.
Message 43 of 52
Grant.Kay
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi BaebleMusicPost,

You are more than welcome to ask questions here about Smoke 2013 🙂 As far as we're concerned we would like Smoke to interface with whatever we can including FCPX.

I did some testing and Smoke 2013 can indeed conform an XML from FCPX. Granted I did not use the multi-cam features but I did build an edit and bought it into Smoke.

From what I saw in the Alpha build, Smoke rebuilds a timeline and it does split out the audio tracks into proper audio channels. Due to the nature of the FCPX storyline, the timeline in Smoke doesn't look pretty but everything appears to be there.

In FCP 7.0, we would have to commit the multi-cam clip down before importing it into Smoke. When conforming in Smoke, the timeline would link back to all the original sources and you could still refine the edit and effectively finish it.

Depending on what is supported for FCPX conforming in the final release is still to be determined but I would encourage you to sign up for the Pre-Release Trial in June and start testing the workflow to see if it fits.

Hope this information helps and welcome to the AREA.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 44 of 52
summerfun1984_1

Will there be an option of changing the R3D settings (e.g. to User and then REDLog Film) without having Smoke to put in some default values for gamma, iso, etc? Cause right now, when you change the camera settings to user settings, all the original data is gone (like iso etc). Can’t the camera settings just stay and be editable?

Thanks!!
Smoke 2012 SAP2 SP4
and
Smoke 2013 SP2 (Smoke Classic Keyboard Shortcuts)
Mac Pro 4,1
OS X 10.6.7
12 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
14 TB RAID (Areca)
Message 45 of 52
zoigevich

Regarding multicam suport i think it will depend on future implementations of XMLX, as at this point xml doesn't suport information on multicam comps and there is no suport for precomps as well. So even if you adjust sync in master clip they are become subsequences and those won't pe translated. There fore in order to bring your project in to smoke make sure to brake all subseqs apart. It's just this version of xml work.
Message 46 of 52
zoigevich

Again regarding desktop. One of the key features to me in smoke is desktop it self. The ability to render clips for comps direct to the smoke's desktop, without reimporting back, is huge time saver.
how 2013 deal with that as there is no desktop tools anymore?
Message 47 of 52
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: zoigevich

You won't need to render clips through desktop tools as much since you can do most of that work in the node based compositor of ConnectFX. There are some desktop tools that need to be there, and the developers are aware of it.

You can also ass effects directly to a source clip, without putting it into a timeline.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 48 of 52
rjino4732

Here's another hair brained idea. Wouldn't it be cool if Autodesk offered an upgrade path from Smoke on Mac particularly to users who made the initial investment before 2013? Upgrade to what i'm not sure but for those who are not sympathetic to the timeline-centric direction could an option be made available?

Just thinking out loud.
Message 49 of 52
Anonymous

Here's another hair brained idea. Wouldn't it be cool if Autodesk offered an upgrade path from Smoke on Mac particularly to users who made the initial investment before 2013? Upgrade to what i'm not sure but for those who are not sympathetic to the timeline-centric direction could an option be made available?

Just thinking out loud.

there is an upgrade path: buy FLAME 😉

a sidegrade option would be cool.
Message 50 of 52
rjino4732

I guess I would define upgrade by saying: some token transfer of current investment level into higher grade option.

This of course is meant partially in jest; however it would not be unprecedented.
Message 51 of 52
Anonymous

Hi All

So what's going to be the deal with burn licenses? Will you still be limited to one per smoke , I suppose at that price you could just buy smokes for the burn license.

With the obvious decrease in computing power we are facing with the apparent demise of MacPro's is there any reason we can't pimp out a Hackintosh with the correct cards/drivers ?

Is there anyone running multiple Smac's off a shared/centralised storage ? Can you forsee any problems with the 2013 version and this arrangement?

I know the beta is about to start and will Autodesk be open to suggestions, such as the need for projectors in action or the addition of particles ? Then it truly would be a one stop package... well at least for us
Message 52 of 52
hansvons

With the obvious decrease in computing power we are facing with the apparent demise of MacPro's is there any reason we can't pimp out a Hackintosh with the correct cards/drivers ?

I can see only am increase of computing power when looking at the development of the MacPro. No one at Apple is saying that they will abandon the MacPro. It's all geekery and useless rumors.

If you want to build a hackintosh, no one is stopping you. But you won't get a comment or even an approval by Autodesk.

Hans

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report