Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARCHIVE Issue Smoke 2015 SP1

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
532 Views, 4 Replies

ARCHIVE Issue Smoke 2015 SP1

I have a 2015 desktop license student version archive from out of house that I a trying to open on my system, 2015 perpetual license. Looks as though the operator archived the Media and Setups seperatly. Neither one will open as the system says the header can't be found and wants the TOC. What is the best way for me to open this archive? I can get the TOC file sent over but not sure where to find it or where to put it once it gets here.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

in the old days, stuff like that used to be found in:

/usr/discreet/archive

i dont know if it's the same for learning edition software.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I may be wrong but I thought the desktop version Archive was no longer compatible with the Perpetual!

Message 4 of 5
Grant.Kay

Hi,

To clairfy a point here, you can open Smoke 2015 perpetual archives with the newer Smoke 2015 desktop.   But you cannot open Smoke 2015 desktop archives with Smoke 2015 perpetual since the perpetual version is older.

If we drop the perpetual vs the desktop terminology for a brief moment, we have always been backward compatible between versions and not forward compatible.    So Smoke 2015 can open Smoke 2013 archives but not the other way round.    This is still the case.

So the reason why you cant open the 2015 desktop archive is because you are using the old 2015 perpetual application to open up an archive from a newer version of the smoke software.    

Unfortunately the OTOC will not help because we are not forward compatible and this means that the older version of Smoke cannot read the archive.

Sorry.

Regards

Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Thanks for clearifying Grant. I guess we need to switch over to the desktop version. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report