Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADLM won't start

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
joshlake
1338 Views, 14 Replies

ADLM won't start

I am running Autodesk Smoke 2013 Ext. 1 on 10.8.3, and it's been working fine, including directlly after the installation of Extention 1. But the other day, it just stopped working. I can't seem to start the ADLM. This is even stopping my machine from shutting down properly. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I still get the same problem.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Robert.Adam
in reply to: joshlake

Hi Josh.

Is your computer a Mac Pro?

If so, you might be running into this known issue: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21280818&linkID=9242618

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 3 of 15
joshlake
in reply to: Robert.Adam

No, I'm actually running this on a Macbook Pro, but I'll look into that article just to be sure.

Message 4 of 15
Robert.Adam

This issue might very well occur with MBP as well, since it has two network ports (wired and wireless).

Please let me know if that is indeed the issue you're running into.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 5 of 15
joshlake

I have tried this restart fix several times. None have yielded any result. And when Itry opening Smoke, I don't get an error of any kind, it just gets stuck on VOLUMEMGT: Checking Volume Integrity.

Message 6 of 15
Robert.Adam

Hi Josh.

If Smoke gets to that point, then the issue is not ADLM related. A license issue would prevent Smoke from even starting at all.

Looks like your issue is actually related to the disk integrity check or to leftover project locks.

Let's start by checking project locks:

1. Exit Smoke.

2. Open the Service Monitor app and stop the Stone+Wire service.

3. Open the Terminal app and type the following command:

find /usr/discreet/clip/stonefs* | egrep "(\.rec|\.ref|\-lock)"

4. Normally this command should not output anything. If the command outputs any text, run the following command:

find /usr/discreet/clip/stonefs7 | egrep "(\.rec|\.ref|\-lock)" |  sudo xargs -L1 rm -rf

5. Enter your password when asked.

6. Go back to the Service Monitor and restart Stone+Wire.

7. Start Smoke and see if it works.

If Smoke still lags on the integrity message, try this:

1. Exit Smoke and open Terminal.

2. Type the following command:

vic -a -f

3. Try Smoke again.

Let me know if any of this worked.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 7 of 15
joshlake

So, first things first, Service monitor froze when I tried to stop Ston+Wire, and when I restarted it, Wiretap and Stone+Wire were stopped, as you can see in the screenshot. I used this to my advantage and tried your first suggestion. The second step generated the text you see there, and I completed the second, but Service monitor won't start Stone+Wire or Wiretap.

Message 8 of 15
Robert.Adam

Oh, I see. This might point to a network issue. 

I'd like to take a look at the log files for Smoke and Stone+Wire.

There's a pinned thread at the top of the forum on how to access logs.

Please attach the Smoke app log, Smoke shell log and Stone+Wire server (sw_serverd.log) and I'll take a look at them.

Thanks,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 9 of 15
joshlake

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

I found the problem, as well as a temporary solution.

My system started slowing way down, so I checked activity monitor and the process sw_dbd was taking up 2GB of Ram and a lot of CPU time. If I force quit the process, everythign works. I can start and stop Stone+Wire, Smoke starts, and I can restart my computer.

Obviously I don't want to have to keep force quitting this process, as I am sure it is necessary for Smoke to run proberly.

Message 11 of 15
Robert.Adam
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Josh.

Has sw_dbd gone into that state again since you have force-quit it? 

Your logs seem to indicate that the Media Storage folder cannot be accessed. Have you set up more than one media folder? You can check in the Storage tab of the Smoke Setup app.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Yes. If I leave the computer for a couple hours it tends to go back to using up RAM and CPU time.

And yes, I did set up two media folders.

Message 13 of 15
Robert.Adam
in reply to: Anonymous

One of those media folders seems to be unavailable. 

Can you please open Finder and make sure you can access the folders configured for media storage?

If one of them is unavailable, either reconnect it or disable it in the Smoke configuration.

Here's how to disable a media storage folder:

1. Exit Smoke and open the Smoke Setup app and go to the Storage tab.

2. Click "Manual Edit".  The configuration file opens in a text editor.

3. Locate the [Partition] section for the folder you want to remove. It should look like this:

[Partition7]

Name=AutodeskMediaStorage
Path=/Volumes/storage/Autodesk Media Storage

4. Add a # at the beginning of each of these 3 lines. 

5. Click OK and then Yes. The editor closes.

6. Click Apply in the Smoke Setup app and close it.

7. Open the Service Monitor app and restart Stone+Wire.

8. Start Smoke and see if it works properly.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 14 of 15
joshlake

That did not slove my problem, but this article did.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15492951&linkID=9242618

I only risked this method because I need Smoke for an upcoming project, and all my past projects are archived and I don't need to work with them anymore.

Smoke starts, sw_dbd runs like normal, SMoke starts up without a hitch, the only problem remaining is that ADLM is still stopped, and I can't start it, but nothing else seems affected so far.

Message 15 of 15
Robert.Adam

Glad to hear you have fixed the issue.

If you are using a standalone license and not a network license it is normal for the ADLM service to be stopped. That's the network license server and is not needed for standalone licenses.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report