Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Stereoscopic in Smoke 2015 Desktop Subscription?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
813 Views, 8 Replies

3D Stereoscopic in Smoke 2015 Desktop Subscription?

Hi All,

I wonder if Smoke 2015 Desktop Subscription still able to edit & comp 3D stereoscopic? With AJA KONA 3G + BOB on an old Mac Pro

Also, did anyone has tried using Thunderbolt i/o device (AJA IO XT / BMD UltraStudio 4K, etc) to do Stereoscopic work on the new Mac Pro?

I am aware of Smoke 2015 Desktop Subscription limitation, ie: Network License, Wire, Shared Project with Flame, No Sparks..

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Grant.Kay
in reply to: Anonymous

As far as I was aware Smoke still has all its stereoscopic tools.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Hi Grant, Thanks for your reply.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I wonder if Smoke 2015 Desktop Subscription still able to edit & comp 3D stereoscopic? With AJA KONA 3G + BOB on an old Mac Pro

I am editing & comping 3D stereoscopic on a Macpro5,1 with an AJA Kona3G.

Also, did anyone has tried using Thunderbolt i/o device (AJA IO XT / BMD UltraStudio 4K, etc) to do Stereoscopic work on the new Mac Pro?

I was hoping that another brave soul had tried this.  I have not seen any further information.  I am planning on purchasing a AJA ioXT 4k for my new Macpro6,1.  However, I am waiting for confirmation that it will work with Smoke 2015.  If I decide to pull the trigger, I will assuredly test Stereoscopic work.  Once I have the opportunity for testing, I will post any results here.

Best regards,

Matt

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Hi All,

I'm going to want do the same thing here more or less with a Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K. Essintally the goal is to output two seprate streams (LEFT and RIGHT) via SDI for monitering. Any solutions would be greatly appericated.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I'm going to want do the same thing here more or less with a Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K. 

I have not tried Smoke 2015 Dual Stereoscopic output via Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K.  I cannot speak to it's stereo output functionality.  I have successfully been utilizing the Kona3G.

Essintally the goal is to output two seprate streams (LEFT and RIGHT) via SDI for monitering. Any solutions would be greatly appericated.

Without sitting in front of Smoke, the process involves setting up a Stereo timeline / clip then assigning the Primary channel to one eye and the Secondary channel to the other eye.  Then in the broadcast output settings select Dual as the stereo option.  This will send left eye over one leg of the SDI and the right eye over the other leg of the SDI.

A couple of other side notes.  

• Dual link stereoscopic playback requires fast storage.  I am using an ioFX PCIe based flash storage.  Obviously it is dependant on resolution, color depth, frame rate and your framestore setup.  
  • In my setup, I am using a Sony 4K prosumer monitor.  I do not have a SDI based stereo monitor.  In order to mux the SDI channels together into a HDMI feed, I am using an AJA mini converter.  I had really bad inconsistencies with the Blackmagic HDLink Pro.
  • Smoke on Mac can only output HD, indifferent of the SDI card.

I am happy to share further if you want to post any specific questions.  Good luck!  

-Matt

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Matt,

So I was able to get the Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K working kinda. Steps to setup thus far:

1) Open Smoke utility, Select BMD for everything

Video Device: BMD

Audio Device: BMD

2) in the preview page of the Smoke utility

Select BMD (instead of AJA)

Select all previews

3) Open Smoke 2015

4) Go to Preferances

Select BMD

*Problem #1

Under perviews if I select 1920x1080 it shows the image outputing to the Sony 4K TV via HDMI but there are other controls beneath it. If I select NTSC then it is just the image but it is improperly scaled.

What I want to do is to have the image properly scalled without any tools just the image.

*Problem #2

I want another clean signal via SDI with the Left eye on one SDI cable and the right one on a different SDI cable.

Thank you!

James

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

For my setup, using the AJA Kona3G:

I am NOT using the HDMI output from the Kona3G.  I am using only SDI feeds.  One SDI cable for left eye and one SDI cable for right eye.  You need 2 SDI runs.  The 2 x SDI feeds go into an AJA Hi5-3D which muxes the left eye and right eye into a frame-packed stereo HDMI signal.

I don't know what capabilities exist, if any, for output stereo via HDMI within Smoke.

In the Preferences:

"Broadcast Monitor"

-AJA Output

-Show Selected item

-Scale Clip to Fit Monitor (ON)(I have it off, but I think this is the function you were asking about)

-Use Ratio (ON)(I have it on because I am using anamorphic material)

-Show Selected Clip on Selection (ON)

"Broadcast Stereo"

-Dual Output

Broadcast Colour Space

-YCrCb 4:2:2 (You are locked to this while in Dual Output Mode)

Broadcast Timing

-1920x1080_2398SF (or 1920x1080_2398P)

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Matt,

I was able to use the Black Magic Ultra Studio 4K today with Smoke with some trouble shooting. I found that the left and right eye trick for seprate streams worked perfectlty but it is very important how you set up the scaling in the page. For me 1920x1080 23.98p worked well with the scale clip button enabled, even though I was working with 4K material.

I greatly appericate your help with this matter.

Best,

James

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report