Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3840 x 1080 view mode

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
cartoon
1733 Views, 14 Replies

3840 x 1080 view mode

Hi everybody,

While I was looking at keyboard shortcuts list I found something I can't explain, but maybe you can help me.

When you're in source-sequence mode and push "f15" key (that is "player view mode" shortcut) several times, you can switch between different view modes. One in particular kept my attention: you can output a video frame with 3840x1080 resolution (double full hd), composed by primary output (on the left) and secondary output (on the right).

The strange thing is that these two video streams (primary and secondary) are not in sync: in fact secondary one is always delayed by one frame.

Do some of you know what is the purpose of this view mode? Do you know if it possible to sync primary and secondary output in this particular mode?

It would be great, because this way we could finally output stereoscopic 3D in side-by-side mode!

Thanks in advance for your help!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
majush
in reply to: cartoon

Hi, I just tried to replicate the same but cant find any such modes. Are you on smoke on mac 2013?? or on 2014 Smoke Advanced?? Can you please post a screenshot of the same??

thanks

On Smoke 2016
Message 3 of 15
cartoon

Hello,

I'm working on Smoke on Mac 2103 ext1.

Please take a look at the screenshot: you can see that sequence is 1920x1080, but output is 3840x1080. Viewport is curently showing primary video on the left and secondary on the right.

Message 4 of 15
majush

Thats a stereo timeline. I think what you see is Left and Right eye together and not primary and secondary. I havent been into stereo mode for a long time so I am not entirely sure. I guess the P and S in this case takes in Left and Right eye.

On Smoke 2016
Message 5 of 15
cartoon

Yes, you're right: this is a stereo timeline, in fact at the moment I'm working on a stereo feature film.

I created a stereo track with left and right eyes and I assigned "P" to the left channel and "S" to the right channel.

This way I can tell Smoke to output my left channel in the left half of the frame and the right channel in the right one, for a total resolution of 3840x1080.

This preview mode is not strange, but a bit surprising because I can't find any mention of it in the internet...

However there's something else that, in my opinion, IS strange: when I arrange the timeline and the preview mode this way, left and right channel lose their sync.

I'll try to be the clearest I can: for example, at frame 10 in the timeline I can see that both left and channels of the stereo track correspond to frame 10 of the footage (so they ARE in sync). But if I look at video output, left channel still is on frame 10, while right channel is on frame 9!

If I scrub the timeline, this always happens: right channel is in delay of 1 frame.

This not only happens during playback, but also while pausing.

I'd like to find a reason for this behaviour of Smoke, and above all I'd like to know if it is possible to "reset" this delay to 0 frames.

If some of you can help with this, please reply.

Thanks a lot!

Message 6 of 15
majush

I think that bit of detail must come from someone who use stereo very often. Sorry i dont have any experience with stereo. I was mostly curios to understand what you were mentioning.

Meanwhile, you could check the stereo options in the preferences-broadcast monitor as well as your aja control panel. I remember there are a few many options there.
On Smoke 2016
Message 7 of 15
cartoon

Anyone can help me? Please...

Message 8 of 15
Robert.Adam

Hi.

I've created a support ticket for your issue. Someone from our team should contact you about it shortly.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 9 of 15
cartoon
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Thank you very much!

Message 10 of 15
cartoon

Hi Robert,

no one has contacted me.

What should I do?

Are you sure someone is considering my issue?

Thanks a lot!

Message 11 of 15
mncrnich

How did you even get this option to work?  I tried to replicate it with hitting "f15" but I cannot replicate it.  When you are in this mode does Smoke output this dual image to your broadcast monitor?  I ask because this would be extremely useful for stereo viewing BUT I have yet to see this option or been able to replicate.

All I can think as to this view mode is a way to output a full HD Stereo preview rather than halfing the resolution in order to accomplish a side by side Stereo preview.  This is hypothetically a really useful tool.

You said you are running Smoke on Mac 2013 Ext1?

/
SMac 2016
2 x 2.4 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon
96 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
K5000
AJA Kona 3G
ioFX 1.6 TB
Promise VTrak 72TB
Eizo ColorEdge CG276W (artist monitor)
Sony XBR 4K UHD Display (client monitor)
Message 12 of 15
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: mncrnich

It does work... but you have to be looking at a Stereo Sequence.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 13 of 15
mncrnich
in reply to: BKM

Hi Brian,

I am looking at a Stereo Sequence, that is why I am scratching my head as to why I don't see this mode.

/
SMac 2016
96 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
K5000
AJA Kona 3G
ioFX 1.6 TB
Promise VTrak 72TB
Message 14 of 15
Robert.Adam
in reply to: mncrnich

Hi.

You have to press it a few times to cycle through to that mode (i've counted 9 key presses until that mode re-occurs).

You might need to reassign "Player view mode" to another hotkey in case the OS captures the F15 key. I had to do that on my Mac as the F15 key was doing brightenss-up even after I enabled "use F keys as standard function keys" in the OS keyboard settings.

Now regarding that side-by-side mode, here's what one of my support colleagues told "cartoon" via e-mail last month:

I have reproduced the behaviour you have described and it appears to be a bug, which would explain the lack of documentation.
There is no support in Smoke Mac for side-by-side stereoscopic output, only Anaglyph and interlaced.
The view you are actually seeing is the same image duplicated twice, not in fact discreet Left and Right stereo layers.
I proved this on my side by creating two different Left and Right images and assigning them to a Stereo timeline.
I then invoked the side by side view using the F15 hotkey.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 15 of 15
mncrnich
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Thank you Robert and Brian for the timely responses and detailed answers.  

I was hoping this was a side-by-side stereoscopic output.  Oh well.  At least I know this is definitively NOT.  Hopefully that will come later.

Really appreciate a definitive answer.

/
SMac 2016
96 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
K5000
AJA Kona 3G
ioFX 1.6 TB
Promise VTrak 72TB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report