Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish Unity3D Free game with Student version 3ds Max models

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1149 Views, 1 Reply

Publish Unity3D Free game with Student version 3ds Max models

I've been working on an sci-fi themed RPG in Unity3D Free, which I plan on releasing for free. They main story is ready, about 60% of the main scripts / functionality is done, but ever since I started working on the models, there has been something bothering me.

I have Student licenses for both Mudbox 2014 and 3ds Max 2014, but so far I have only used these programs to create a few renders for my portfolio. From what I know, that is legal, but I'm not so sure about the game. I'm planning on releasing the game for free, but will also have a link for donations.

Can I legally publish this game, for which I create the models and animations in the Student version of 3ds Max 2014, or do I have recreate all of my models and animations in a free 3D program, such as Blender? 3600$ (the price of a full 3ds Max license) is an extremely large amount of money from my perspective, and if I get sued, a 15000$ (or larger) fine would destroy my life. Smiley Sad

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Portfolio renders are fine, releasing models either directly or indirectly (as in a game) is not. Being paid, in any way, for models created with a student version is a breach of the license conditions you agreed to by installing the software.

This question has been asked a number of times, in different ways, for different products - the answer is always the same. Student versions are for learning - and nothing else.
Go to the main Area Forum and search for "student game" (without the quotes) - there are at least 4 threads (excluding this one) on the 1st results page.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report