Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some career advice

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
cameron.eddie93
3028 Views, 8 Replies

Need some career advice

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am wanting to go into either game development or movie special effects (CGI and all that), but I was wondering, what sort of uni courses offer the best training in these fields, or any other courses outside of universities.

Thanks for any advice, any help would be much appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

I couldnt say much in terms of movie special effects but for  game development it would be a good starting point to find which part interest you. Game development involves different aspects such as art, sound programming etc. Knowing which you are interested in would be a good stepping stone. It also depends on the current knowledge you possess in regards to what you are pursuing.

Message 3 of 9
wispoxy
in reply to: cameron.eddie93

Advice. Don't go into animation or game design unless you plan on pursuing a job along the coast of the USA (such as California, Texas, Florida, and Rhode Island) or outside the country.
Message 4 of 9

Full Sail University in Florida seems to be a great institution. i know personally an ex-modder who graduated and went on to build amazing levels form Unreal 2.x and UDK, and got a job at Epic Games.

At Full Sail, there are many disciplines of graphic arts in the Arts and Sciences Department. You can most likely take the Introduction courses and decide as you go whether or not you prefer the Gaming or Film (CGI/FX), Programming, fields of disciplines.

Good Luck. Also there should be local Universities and Colleges with Arts and Sciences dedicated to games and film, i would check around.

Message 5 of 9

i will be in favor of game designing rather than movie effects but this would be as per my knowledge you should see your interest first then take any decision

Message 6 of 9

The video games' industry has earned more revenue than the movie and music industries combined, every year for the past eight years. According to the latest Global Games Market Report by Newzoo (2018), video games generate $137.9 billion per year, and almost 50% of the earnings come from mobile.

So if you want to make money you shall begin with Video games industry

Message 7 of 9

@mihirholey wrote:

Hey guys,
          Actually I am studying animation using maya through an institute , is it good option to enter in gaming via Maya software ?
Or just to be simple I need to enter in game design stream so what are the things I need to practice hard to get into it using softwares ?
Could you please guide me from basic to getting into that industry as game designer ?

learn game engine > make portfolio website > make good games > fill your portfolio with them > apply for job

Nowadays most steam but not only games are done in either Unity or Unreal, both are free and awesome game engines

Message 8 of 9

Out of these two Id go in game development. They usually use Unity or eventually unreal. Do university game design degree (or any computing/programming degree) but you also need portfolio with your own games. Portfolio with just one good game is better than portfolio with 40 bad games.

Message 9 of 9

gamedev doesnt have as many jobs as webdev, its risky career path

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report