Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking designs to production

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
David_HCB
196 Views, 5 Replies

Taking designs to production

Hi all,

Some guidance sought.

After 12 months of learning and several renditions of several models I've finally got to the point where I'm ready to move a design into physical production.

As you can see from below, my models are reasonably complex.

I've had some experience with the the Drawing, Animation, Rendering and Manufacturing workspaces in isolation but now it's to to bring things together in a suite of documents.

The outputs I'm planning to do are as follows.

Drawings: Several views, exploded diagrams and construction layouts of parts. Probably 50 drawing pages

Rendering: Some nice pics

Animation: Mainly used to constructions videos and instructions, probably 20 or so

Manufacturing: for the obvious CAM stuff. There will be approximately 300 individual toolpaths and a number of groups containing them.

Current f3z archive is 180Mb in size.

Given the model is rather heavy, would it make sense to base all of the four outputs above each based upon derived models and just relying on the master to keep things up to date should there be design changes?

Any other considerations that would be useful?

Thanks

David

David_HCB_0-1648700029858.png

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Win 10 / I7-11700K @ 4.9GHz / 64Gb RAM / SSD's
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CGBenner
in reply to: David_HCB

@David_HCB 

This is not helpful, but I just coudn't resist (I really tried)... I don't think that boat is going to float very well.  😂

I'm sorry... poor attempt at humor.  That's actually a cool looking design.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 6
jeff_strater

Wow, David, your boat is looking fantastic!  Nice work, and I know it's been a struggle at times.  Congratulations.

Yes, I would definitely recommend adding a Derive level of indirection for these types of "downstream" workflows.  It would not be needed for a smaller design, but for something this large, I would definitely make a lot of use of Derive.  Except, maybe for rendering.  Renders are not stored with the model, so you can feel free to do those on your main model.  And, specifically for CAM, I would have LOTS of Derived designs, because the toolpaths are going to be heavy themselves.  You probably don't want to have one for each component, that would be overkill, but you could create groups of components that you might want to cut out of one piece, if that is the method you are going to use.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 6

@jeff_strater 's advice for CAM is definitely correct, I've run into problems making injection moulds if I try and do everything in one design. One problem you might have if you make several derived designs, you will not be able to copy the whole project if you want to reuse it for something similar. If you have a chain on linked designs you can copy the top level assembly\2d drawing and get a copy of all links as an F3Z but if the project has a branch to several derived designs you can't create a copy and maintain links.

I have worked around this by creating another assembly and linking in all the derived designs but this will not work for and 2d drawings. I was a bit surprised this worked but I only needed to link 3 derived designs into a top level assembly.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
David_HCB

Thanks Jeff,

So ended up creating for CAM around a dozen derives each with between about 10 and 30 components depending on the nesting for each 8' x 4' ply sheet.

Unfortunately I had to do a bit of too'ing and fro'ing between each new derive modifying the included components as I had to some degree pick them manually to create optimal nesting. SO just needed to manually check I'd derived all the parts by checking them off a list. I have 5 different thicknesses of parts too.

The Arrange feature doesn't work optimally in my situation I assume due to my large amount of irregular shapes - so after each Arrange came many component moves.

Only performance hit really in this step is the fact that as a result of doing the above was the master design had around 100 saves thrown at it. But it's now done.

Working with the Manufacturing model and it's Setups, CAM tool paths - and there is generally a mix of 2D Contours, 3D Contours, 2D Boring and some Parallel performance is perfect. Everything is essentially responding in real time in the UI.

Thanks for the advice, and from others also.

As usual the forum is a good safe place to ask such questions.

David

David_HCB_1-1648951493277.png

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Message 6 of 6
David_HCB
in reply to: CGBenner

Hey all good, I got the joke!

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report