Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Orientation Question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
488 Views, 3 Replies

Drawing Orientation Question

I am new to CAD, so this may seem like a dumb question to some of you but...

As far as axes are concerned, I have always understood that X is across, Y is away and Z is up (put simply). I did Technical Drawing at school and it was back then.

In Fusion 360, X is red, Y is green and Z is blue. I believe this is a convention as my Mach 3 also uses it.

Can someone explain why, when I draw something in Fusion 360, the blue Z axis is horizontal in the Home window?

When I look at the Front Elevation Red X is horizontal and Green Y is vertical.

I expected to see Blue as vertical...

I am sure that this is the same in other CAD programs and that I have misunderstood something along the way.

Thanks...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Go to preferences and change the default orientation to Z up, this will not change the orientation of existing designs.

Capture5.PNG

You can change the top view by right clicking the view cube and changing the current orientation to Top.

Capture04.PNG

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks Mark, really appreciated.

Makes it so much easier for me to understand.

L

Message 4 of 4
O.Tan
in reply to: HughesTooling

Darn it Hughes, you're faster than me 😄

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report