Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

we seriously need folders in the browser

we seriously need folders in the browser

here a friendly reminder that with you start having many objects your browser gets hard to use

when it is clustered with too many bodies!

Folders like in DM really help organizing this!

Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 12.15.26 PM.png

65 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

The timeline Browser gets crazy filled and unorganized.

Keeping an overview is often problematic when you deal with many parts in one scene.

Thus I would promote to enable like in DM also having folders in the browser for TL so I

can structure the browser and do not have to scroll so much.

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 10.29.30 AM.png

You can semi-mitigate this by creating components and then making them active. Hit the mystery meat circle that appears to the right of the component on hover 

Capture d’écran 2014-08-14 à 08.30.26.png

and then everything gets lumped into that component.. it'll still be messy, and won't get you all the way to what you want, but it's still a marked improvement and wasn't at all obvious to me until someone from Autodesk told me about it.

cekuhnen
Mentor

that might be an option when useful but it is not always a good idea

herzinj
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

I'm always a fan of making the product easier for us to use, especially as people design larger and larger things!  I'd like to see it get more votes, though we can see things have slowed down a bit with the beautiful summer weather.

I worry there might be other factors in the vote slowdown..

This sort of thing though should be a no-brainer - the browser quickly becomes unmanagable in any sufficiently complicated design.

cekuhnen
Mentor

I agree with both points.

I can see the conflict here in organizing the work.

You have the model browser and the time line.

The timeline also changes what is in the browser.

But folders should I think be unaffected by what the timeline does to the geometry.

cekuhnen
Mentor

And maybe votes is also based on what people use and are familiar with.

I voted also on ideas I had no use for myself but saw the logic for the request.

skyler.olsen
Community Visitor

Definately agree.  When you start modeling and adding components (such as screws or other components) folders help to organize and speed workflow.  For example, if you wanted to hide all the screws in a folder it would be nice to be able to do so with one click instead of 10s, 100s or even 1000s of clicks.

smeggy
Advocate

This x 1 bazillion

maritza.ga
Alumni
Status changed to: Duplicate

rpagewood
Advocate

I think it's already possible to create a 'group' in the bodies folder and place everything in there

cekuhnen
Mentor
Ah how?
rpagewood
Advocate

right click bodies folder> new group.

then move all the bodies you want to the new group.

- i only just realised this doesn't work when you are in capture design history mode. duh

cekuhnen
Mentor
I tried this and I did not see it in the time line mode!
cekuhnen
Mentor

i made a duplicate because we still no NOT have this so basic feature!

keqingsong
Community Manager

This is a good request. In the meantime, I tend to treat components as folders of bodies. Say you have 3 bodies in the bodies folder - you can make one as a component and drag the 2 other bodies into that new component, then rename the component, go into it's bodies folder and you'll see all 3 bodies in there. Turn Component color cycling on and it'll make it color coded. This should help with organization to some degree. 

components and bodies.jpg

cekuhnen
Mentor

true but it seems to make things too complicated because you flood the timeline with those commands!

Definitely agreed on the need (or better for a way to prevent the need for folders in the first place).

cekuhnen
Mentor

folders, layers, groups what ever

we need some tools to organize work besides making components.

cekuhnen
Mentor
Would be nice like layers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report