Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vee Carving

Vee Carving

I'm a woodworker and a machinist.  I use my CNC router often and I LOVE Fusion 360.  I would love for you guys to impliment a v-carving capability.  I have done it in Fusion 360 using a consistent width font and a fixed draft angle whith a cut into a body.  This gives me the edges to select and trace.  However, this method does not work with fancy fonts because the extrude/cut fails.  Plus it's a pain to go in and select everthing all the time.

Can you guys go look at v-carve pro and impliment some similar functionality?  I really don't think this would be super hard to do as there are methodical ways to define the paths from any shape.  Then I wouldn't need to spend a lot of money and juggle two software packages to create nice lettering for my projects.  Further, you can do very awesome inlay with a v bit.  I've done it before with Vectric's products.

Can you add this to your roadmap plans?

28 Comments
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Helmi74
Collaborator

Yeah that would be great. I also asked for other wood related CNC stuff (like dogboneing) but that would be great, too.

tony978
Advocate

the funny part is autodesk owns delcam the maker of artcam . So I hope they move some of that stuff over . 

NickMathis
Contributor

Yes, v-carving would be incredibly helpful as this is a common CNC technique for woodworkers.  Especially for inlay work.

scottmoyse
Mentor

It's likely the Fusion team will need to do a lot of work on the way they handle fonts. It's crap in Inventor and it looks like they've used a similar approach here with Fusion. Once fonts can easily be converted to sketch geometry we will be able to loads of stuff on the CAM / CNC front.

tony978
Advocate
My understanding is the cam is ported from hsm
ianmacleanllc
Advocate

Agreed,

I always end up using IPS "engrave" on my Haas to add part numbers ect. People are asking for this over on the Inventor HSM side as well. 

Would be real nice to have some text and engrave tools. Lots of the lower end CAM has it.

-Ian

al.whatmough
Community Manager

Vcarve is in the works.

We are doing internal testing on it now.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Vcarve.jpg

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

adamsd5
Enthusiast

You guys at Autodesk are amazing.  I can't wait for this.

adamsd5
Enthusiast

Want a beta-tester? 😉

lukepighetti
Advisor

I'd be happy to do external testing but get ready to hear my comments LOL. Can't wait for vcarve!

dirktheeng
Advocate

If you have anything for me to test, I have a project going right now that could use it.  Does it do raised lettering as well as relief?  Any timeframe for full release?

scottmoyse
Mentor

@dirktheeng "Does it do raised lettering as well as relief?"

That is a very good question. Although, you could do all the external elements of raised lettering at the moment. Also the inside of some recessed letters would require the same type of toolpath as raised lettering, so I would expect it will, but someone from Autodesk would have to confirm at some point.

al.whatmough
Community Manager

We have not put any effort into handing raised letters yet.

I will have guys look into it.

rick
Participant

This is awesome.  For me as a woodworker/sign maker.  This changes everything.  Thanks you so much!

prcdslnc13
Enthusiast

Any updates on this? Im open for beta testing too Cat Happy

rick
Participant
Any updates on this?

Any day now...

November update will have it.  See it here...

November 2015 Update

Check out Item #4

Yahooooooooooooooooooooo

prcdslnc13
Enthusiast

Holy crap thats awesome

tony978
Advocate
Middle November think they make it live on Mondays

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report