Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Untrim needed

Untrim needed

Fusion has no untrim.

a pretty important tool to remove holes. I do not weant to use patch to fill it because Fusion patch I cannot controll.

like in the image below untrim and the orinignal surface is back without the rectangular hole.

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 9.19.10 PM.png

9 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

Here for example is a case where an untrim surface command would be incredibly helpful

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 6.58.24 PM.png

extend surface produces this funny result

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 6.58.46 PM.png

More generally there seem to be an awful lot of ways to create pathological geometries.

Short of strong AI, I'm not sure how you can fix that but it's definitely a nuisance.

cekuhnen
Mentor

Ok I am lost in translation here, now for me can you explain what you said in simple English for foreigners 😉

Do you mean there are many ways to mess things up and that the code is not smart enough to understand what I want?

deyop
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

I'm not sure if you imported this trimmed surface from another application or generated it in Fusion.  Extend is not going to deliver the same results as untrimming the original NURBS.  Either way I investigated and this can be supported.  I have created a backlog item FUS-15727.

cekuhnen
Mentor

Untrim should not be future consideration but actually a function. It is so crucial because extend does not always offer what you need.

If I work with external step data not having untrim would be a large limitation.

Ok I am lost in translation here, now for me can you explain what you said in simple English for foreigners :smileywink:

Gah / sorry about that 🙂

I think what's happening is that the way they're mathematically describing surfaces is a bit fragile and breaks down when you do things like extend. The trick is that it's probably not something that they can easily fix without having a way for F360 to know what you're thinking and expecting to happen because to the program it's all just numbers.

That said - finding ways to make Fusion do more intuitive and sensible things would be great.

cekuhnen
Mentor

Yeah that makes sense now!

extend works well on linear edges of a rectangular sheet

but not in this case - which is why I think we so badly need an untrim tool.

There is no way around it.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

I would include this in the advanced modeling features.  Something to consider, but I don't know when it would be released.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@colin.smith Sounds understandable Colin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report