Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS needs more modeling tools extrude point, insert face, etc...

TS needs more modeling tools extrude point, insert face, etc...

Here is the video outlining what I am missing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2Wk1fd2hHOHhyVms/edit?usp=sharing

6 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

Essencially while understanding that TS works only on surfaces and not poly lines it really would help TS to have a mode where you can generate poly lines like in any normal poly subD modeler, add the faces and then switch back into the TS smooth view.

Specifically for toy designers this is really important or otherwise Fusion would only be the converter module because they really need to cut open meshes rework topology etc.

deyop
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

deyop
Alumni

I think the biggest disconnect we have to support your requirements is the problem of using sketch elements as input to T-Spline bodies. T-Splines are by nature polygon models and NURBS models. Each face is a 3rd degree surface. Because our sketch engine is creating 5th degree curves we are forced to fit an outcome instead of matching precisely to the input curves. So although we could not create polylines and extrude a resulting T-Spline if we had an option for creating 3rd degree curves we would be able to see a result that had no deviation from the input.  This is a shortcoming that must be addressed.

As you know the polygon model can convert to T-Spline just fine but of course with the smoothing that will occur when the poly model takes the form of the T-Spline. Some operations which you described in poly modeling (thanks for the video) such as extruding a point are not available because of the nature of using T-Splines. There is some discussion of providing a SubD modeling capability that could then convert to T-Spline but to be honest I think this will add complexity to the overall modeling system and would rather put resources into improvements for T-Spline modeling.

Your familiarity with polygon modeling presents some understandable disappointment with the methods presented in Sculpt, especially the differences in Extrude behavior. You may have already discovered this but it would be difficult to uncover. The Insert operation you showed in Blender can be achieved in Sculpt by selecting the face and scaling from the origin. Here is an image of a face in box mode.

Thanks for your feedback.  I hope we can make the changes needed to provide you with all the modeling flexibility you require.

ExtrudeZero.jpg

cekuhnen
Mentor

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the explanation. I agree that a sub-d modeler into Fusion might not be the ideal way.

The beauty of Fusion is the clarity and simplicity yet effectiveness.

I could see in the Timeline a subD modeler doing its work and when leaving the edit mode

the timeline would convert it to TS to BRep.

SolidThinking has a pure sub-D modeler build-in now and can convert it to NURBS.

The old Amapi Pro had the same workflow.

I must say that this has when you use the power of polygons for modeling certain advantages over

modeling with pure T-Splines.

The quality of poly to nurbs conversation I am not sure about with others, I only remember Amapi having problems with seams and from my understanding it seems TS is doing a better job here.

At the end the BREP quality I think is more important than more modeling tools. For something like this

one can always use a different more dedicated tool if needed.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Archived.  Example data no longer available. 

cekuhnen
Mentor

@colin.smith

yeah this one is old - most of this is in the new T-Splines document

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report