Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track time actively spent on design

Track time actively spent on design

Hi There,

Can Fusion tell you how many hours:minutes have been actively spent on a design?

Assuming it should also be per involved user, as its all about collaboration!

Thanks.

23 Comments
lure23
Collaborator

This is a wonderful suggestion, if only for the resemblance to Battlefield, Mass Effect and practically any true console games.

garin
Alumni

That is a cool tool in AutoCAD, I have seen people use it in interesting ways. My high school teacher used it to see how long we worked on a given project, pretty cool. At the moment there isn't a way for us to track time spent (per user) on a design in Fusion 360. I think its an interesting idea. You may want to post it in the "Request a Features" section and have people vote on it. That is one tool we use to gage interest for a given feature for future updates. 

MarkYoung
Explorer

I'd like to use something like this, so I could track how many kWh it takes me to design something.

I know the wattage of my PC, so I could multiply it by hours.

kat.ingalls
Alumni

Hey guys! This *is* a fantastic suggestion. Especially for those who have billable hours, this sounds like it'd be incredibly useful. Have moved this topic to the IdeaStation. Go ahead and hit "+1 Kudos!"

lure23
Collaborator

Restrain, please. We do have all kinds of OS specific tools for time tracking.

It's okay to have this somewhere in project properties. Just please, please don't go the kitchen sink road, since other companies make better kitchen sinks. Stick with CAD. Thanks.

big_red_frog
Collaborator

I was just surprised it wasnt in there, and thought I was simply missing it.

Not looking for SAP intergration!

Simple fields in Design homepage / properties for hours per contributor would be enough for me, bearing in mind not every user is a corperate with higher layering on tracking.

When it comes to the kitchen sink aspects, just expose it via query API's then if anyone wants to deeply intergrate to work flow they can, Autodesk just needs to present the most basic summary, and doesnt have to second guess anything, nor invest in a corner case that are covered elsewhere.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Hey there, this is a good idea, but we don't have this ranked as a high priority feature. We have captured this and are working a plan on how we can integrate this in future updates. 

max.roeder
Explorer

Could we reopen this after 2 years?
I think this feature would be needed for small businesses and freelancers to get a idea how much they should quote.

colbycramden
Contributor

@big_red_frog wrote:

Hi There,

Can Fusion tell you how many hours:minutes have been actively spent on a design?

Thanks.

then max.roeder helpfully suggested:

Could we reopen this after 2 years?
I think this feature would be needed for small businesses and freelancers to get a idea how much they should quote.

Please hesitate no further. Whether it's time logging per project folder, or active-time spent within a set of files defined by any other terms -- any of these would be enormously helpful for ANYONE wanting to account (to themselves, to a client or an employer) for their hours.

dricke21
Community Visitor

You guys need to stop wasting time. Your program is being actively used by freelancers who need to bill their hours effectively. 2013 till now is a long time to have a simple idea like this in the pipeline

@big_red_frog wrote:

Hi There,

Thanks.

gary49HP8
Explorer

Bummed to see nothing has came of this yet.  This would make it really easy to track my time on jobs, and give me the opportunity to WFH or remote.

chrisZDD3L
Observer

Agree, this concept would be helpful--running a mechanical engineering design and prototyping firm, I may have a unique need for this.  This would be an enhancement in my view.

Specifically, I'd like granularity on the following:

1. Total time input into a particular Folder - and all subfolders + designs therein
  2. Total time input into a particular Design - the parent file w/the Assembly, Components, Bodies, etc. 
  3. Total time input into a particular Domain - Design, Rendering, Simulation, Manufacturing, etc. 
  4. Total time input into a particular Account - this would be important for employers, employees and Autodesk Product Development Managers to know how each feature of the product is performing.
  5. Some additional notes: 
    1. If there are files "linked" or "referenced" in a design, the total time input into that design file should be detailed in someway to distinguish.  Yes, new Design File X only took me 30 minutes, but it's because we have already modeled up Parts A-C which combined took 5 hours.  Thus the Design time is 0.5 hours, linked design time is 5 hours total time is 5.5 hours.  Here's a potential "looks like" prototype...
    2. UI/UX: Potential readout in the feature tree?  Based on the parent / child relationship?
    3. Assembly  (4.7 hours, 6 linked hours, 10.7 hours total)
      1. Body 0.1  (1.7 hours)
      2. Component 1 (2 hours)
        1. Body 1.1
        2. Body 1.2
      3. Component 2 (1 hour)
        1. Body 2.1
      4. Linked-Component 3 (6 hours)
        1.   Body 3.1

Not only would this be beneficial to users who track their design hours, this would also be beneficial for Fusion360 product managers:

1. Help internal Autodesk teams understand "how long" the design process takes in each relevant design category...thereby improving the categories which seem to take the longest--in comparison to use cases in other tools or prior experience. 
    1. For example, the recent point-wise spline improvement (2018) I'm sure will drastically improve the speed at which splines can be produced.  Thus aggregate and average "Spline Design" times will be on the whole lower...indicating several possibilities:
      1. user did not spend much time doing splines because the work required was low
      2. the work required was high but because of the spline-tool innovation, the designer now works more efficiently and effectively
      3. the user hated the experience and backed out of that task
  2. Help users understand where they can improve.  Comparing aggregate data across a variety of product designers / simulators / etc., people can begin to benchmark where they stand relative to their peers.  Potentially reach out for help, become an influencer, etc.  I'm sure you're doing this to some degree internally already.
  3. I also see an even more direct and quick way to make money for Autodesk with this feature as well...but we'll save that for later.

Thanks all for keeping the discussion alive!  If we keep discussing, maybe it makes more sense now in 2019 than it did before relative to some of the other bug fixes / defects that were compromising the main workflow.  

~CDM

harperwilliame
Participant

Looking at this in 2019....still no solution

piotrowski12
Observer

I wish to have it!

h.radany
Community Visitor

Please make this idea happen, it has so much value for managing your time on a project (CAD or CAM)

I would absolutely love this functionality. I am brand new to freelance design and am struggling with producing accurate quotes. This information would be fantastic.

ionsnail
Community Visitor

Please add this! I freelance CAD and this would be so so so helpful to me.

Nate088
Contributor

Please add this Autodesk!

philwmcintosh
Enthusiast

Even a basic version of this idea would be enough for my needs. Just enough to give me a rough idea of where I am at in terms of hours spent on a a job or job folder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report