Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toggle Dimension visibility during sketching

Toggle Dimension visibility during sketching

I find that if I am in sketch mode doing a complex layout / planning sketch, the dimensions crowd up the screen and obscure the sketch. It would be nice to be able to toggle the dimension visibility on and off while sketching. When off, I should still be able to add new dimensions and the new dimension should remain visible until it has been finalized.

18 Comments

More generally, it'd be great to have an easy way to automatically adjust level of detail so you can zoom out from something and still see something meaningful rather than a collection of lines and text piled on top of itself.

cekuhnen
Mentor

fully agree!

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

OFGLLC
Advocate

Glaring omission from the Options section of the Sketch Palette.  Since not showing constraints does not remove dimensions, even though a dimension is a form of constraint, why not have an option to Show/Hide dimensions?

Since dimensions do not shrink linearly when zooming out, they overwhelm a Sketch when looking for an overall view.

Please give us the option to hide the dimensions when desired.

Tags (6)
bejoscha
Advocate

Too bad I can not vote twice! This was the suggestion I was about to post here as well. (In particular circle-diameter dimensions are often "in the way" of other things.)

One advanced addition: When a (dimension-ed) entity is selected, it should maybe automatically display that dimension.

I would also be in favor of a "less contrast" visual of (not selected) entity dimensions, i.e. a faint grey.

But in case of doubt: An "all or nothing" option is a great start!

Gnasher42
Contributor

Yes please - some of my sketches get too messy this would be a fantastic addition.

chrisYBGLU
Enthusiast

I would like to see a Hide dimensions checkbox on the sketch palette.

In a sketch with many dimensions, it would be nice to be able to hide the dimensions to allow a clear view, just like there is a hide constraints checkbox.

chrisYBGLU
Enthusiast

I would like to see a Hide dimensions checkbox on the sketch palette.

In a sketch with many dimensions, it would be nice to be able to hide the dimensions to allow a clear view, just like there is a hide constraints checkbox.

bejoscha
Advocate

You might want to upvote existing suggestions to "add up weight" to the idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/toggle-dimension-visibility-during-s...

(I do agree with your wish, I did not upvote it. I upvoted this one instead.)

bejoscha
Advocate

You might want to upvote existing suggestions to "add up weight" to the idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/toggle-dimension-visibility-during-s...

(I do agree with your wish, I did not upvote it. I upvoted this one instead.)

Scoox
Collaborator

+1 This would be good

knightblde
Participant

I think this is one of those features that people don't know they need but will use it a lot when they get it.

gmpcAQSES
Observer

I have a screen cast of a 2D mechanism that I have prototyped in a sketch. It would really great to hide the dimensions for this use case. http://autode.sk/2IiqGaM

araugh
Enthusiast

Running into this problem now when mocking up a complex optical arrangement. If nothing else it'd be nice to change the appearance of dimensions because the dim lines are the exact same color and thickness as fully defined lines.

zatoo
Observer

Fully agree with this addition to Fusion 360. I often draw up something quick for a 3D print and am constantly deleting the dimensions that auto populate. Otherwise the screen becomes so cluttered I can't see what I have drawn.

rohit.bapat
Autodesk

Hello All,

I am happy to inform that we have added a checkbox in the Sketch Panel to Show/Hide Dimensions in the sketch in March release. Please give it a try let us know if you have any queries or issues.

Thank you,

Best Regards

Rohit Bapat

(Product Owner, Fusion 360)

bejoscha
Advocate

@rohit.bapat This is absolutely fantastic. I gave it a quick glance only for now and need to work with it in more depth and detail, but yes, this was exactly what was needed.

Give-me-the-little-finger-and-I-take-the-hand request:  Would it be possible to be able to switch *individual* dimensions on while all others are hidden? i.e. have the show/hide toggle like now, but a mechanism to override for dimensions to make them "stick".

Or the other way around: have a method to tell one particular dimension to "hide" unless "show all" is enabled.

This is not as urgently needed as the main functionality now implemented, but it would allow to "clean up" sketches, leaving some driving dimensions visible for easy editing (in 3D)

zatoo
Observer

@rohit.bapat Thank you to you and your team for this addition to Fusion360. It shows you listen to your audience and strive to get better every day. Thank you and please keep this kind of work up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report