Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It would be great to have the Hole and Thread tool combined...

It would be great to have the Hole and Thread tool combined...

This way you wouldn't need to create a hole prior to adding the thread, it could be done in the one step.

24 Comments
Mtimmis-Personal
Contributor

It would be really useful to include standard thread types/sizes in the Fusion hole command, like we have in Inventor:

Inventor Threaded Hole tool.jpg

At the moment it looks like I would have to create a hole in Fusion, then use the thread command to add a thread to the existing hole. This just adds to the time taken to create a fairly simple feature on a model.

Tags (3)
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you create a hole, it would be nice to have the threading feature built right in. As it stands now, you first make a hole and then thread it. Furthermore, it would also be nice to have through hole options and counter sunk options based on a choosen thread size.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

brianrepp
Community Manager

promm
Alumni

Thank you for your idea - This is getting changed to future consideration.  Meaning this is a good idea and will be put into our backlog.  When development gets started on this idea it will move to accepted.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

promm
Alumni

Thank you for your submission to the Ideastation.  This is a good idea and is being changed to future consideration.

patrik-web
Advocate

Yes! Moreover, it would free you from having to remember or look up what the correct hole diameter should be for a given thread.

kb9ydn
Advisor

Adding a thread should be an option in the hole wizard, but threads should still be available separately for making external threads.

C|

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice suggestion.

I would like to add that the Hole feature could have similar drop downs as the thread dialog for various screw types and sizes, and be able to specify a through hole with a particular clearance fit. Say a through hole for 1/4-20 with a snug fit is typically 0.257 (or F drill size) and a loose fit 0.266 (or H drill)

Tyler
Explorer

Having a drop down for various threads like Solidworks would be great.

plodger
Contributor

My super-duper ultimate best ever option would be to be able to select a standard fastener, click on a point on a surface, then automagically create a hole through one or more bodies complete with threads as necessary, and have the fastener included with an appropriate rigid joint. This would probably save me 10 minutes per fastener, every fastener, and I'd love you forever.

Sarah

GMDesigns74
Contributor

Also the ability to locate said hole/thread parametrically without having to create a sketch just to locate a hole.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  When work is started it will be changed to accepted.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, please do not wait for Christmas, my birthday, or anyone else's birthday to bring this to life.  Fasteners are so basic to so many designs and they currently take too much thought and effort.

Thanks

promm
Alumni

@Anonymous,

Have you used our McMaster-Carr insert tool? You mention the amount of effort it takes to create fasteners and this will help.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Mike, meant to phrase it in regard to the creation and 2D call out of the hole details that is currently too cumbersome

The McMaster and Misumi integrations are one of my favorite things!

Bill
promm
Alumni

@Anonymous,

In regards to you 2D hole call out I am assuming you are referencing drawings.  What details do you require for hole / thread notes in drawings?

Cheers,

Mike Prom

robduarte
Collaborator

This is similar to another highly voted request - can they be lumped together? I think we'd see more votes for this type of feature at that point.

promm
Alumni

@robduarte,

Which idea are you referring to?

Cheers,

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report