Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: refine of the UI of selecting 1..3 elements

Suggestion: refine of the UI of selecting 1..3 elements

The problems with Align & Snap (discussed elsewhere) refer to working points and planes a lot. These are under the Construction toolbar menu and today I tried them out.

The UI for selecting elements (points, edges etc.) isn't completely obvious, and it's not coherent either. 

Let's take the coherency issue first.

Select Construct > Offset Plane

This needs just one element, a plane and communicates it clearly:

a1.png

( What could be done here is to use color coding on the arrow icon like I think Inventor does. White background: not selected yet. Blue background: selected. Here it seems to always be blue which lead me to think I had a plane selected. Anyways - check Inventor and do alike. )

Now, take i.e. Construct > Plane Through Three Points

a2.png

That's ALL you get on the screen. 

And if you click the 'option' icon, you'll see this:

a3.png 

Seems like only one point (or something) is needed, but it's actually all three. (For the first, this means the first point, then the second point, then the third… but since there is no visual indication that some points already got selected, the user is confused - unless she/he knows the drill.)

Granted, if you do NOT do anything, this tooltip will surface:

a4.png

However (based on your personality) you might never see it. I hadn't. My way was to click all possible, not to wait for a tooltip to surface.

A better way would be alongside how 'Offset Plane' selection works (and how Inventor works, I think):

a5.png

This makes the tooltip unnecessary and allows changing selections of the 1st and 2nd elements, if needed (current workflow doesn't, which is part of its problem - it also only gives feedback on successful selections by changing the color of the selected elements; this method is *already* used in Fusion and should imho be the *only* method used. Or vice versa - experienced users may choose only to have the "driving blind" option since they know what they're doing. That's fine. But behavior with Construct > Offset Plane and this should always be coherent.)

(btw this is on Fusion 360 v.1.8.568)

(I'll make the selection order into another message, though these are kind of related.)

1 Comment
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report