Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal backup method

Optimal backup method

Every time when I click the save button, the Fusion creates a new version of my design. But there is in this method of versioning issues.

See, during the working day often have to press the save button to avoid losing the work for the whole day, if we will have a failure in the Fusion or system. So I get a lot of meaningless versions.

When I'm looking for among the versions of some variant of the product, I face a problem, because too many versions, most of them are meaningless, a lot of them. How to deal with it?

In practice, it must be so: I'm working on a new version and click from time to time the save button, so as not to lose my job when I'm finished working on the next version, then I click "create version" or set a tick in the checkbox in the save dialog box. Thus, I can control the process of creating versions. Then I won't have a lot of meaningless versions, instead I'm going to have 2-10 meaningful versions of the design.

Please make a separate button or a checkbox, "save" and "create version", so you can save your design during the day without creating unnecessary versions, to be able to create a version when it is really needed. Let the user choose.

Thank you!

14 Comments
lukepighetti
Advisor

I would like to be able to do a soft save... ie, I am in the middle of working on version 2 and I have to interrupt my work. i'm not interested in creating version 3 when I open up my computer, I just want to save my work and continue working on version 2.

This would also help a lot with the habit of saving often because of concerns about Fusion stability. Some of my slingshot designs have 70+ versions because I save after every couple of operations.

Additionally, because of how you have to go into A360 and promote a version to see what the feature contents are, there's no way I'm going to need all of those 70+ versions.

Thus, I would like soft saves.

Maybe we could have v1, v2, v3 WIP... and then when you "hard save" or "commit" it goes v1, v2, v3....

kb9ydn
Advisor

This would be more like a typical version control system, where you check out a file to work on and save a number of times while you're working on it.  The version number only gets incremented when you check it back in.

I like this idea.

C|

I'd love to see continuous atomic saves with every change. With that this would be redundant and the stability issues would at least be a bit less painful.

lukepighetti
Advisor

If we had continuous saves as you describe and a "commit" instead of "save" button that would be amazing. Also if the undo memory stuck around for like 100 changes that would be amazing.

lukepighetti
Advisor

I can only imagine that less "versions" would also make Fusion team's move to branching and merging a lot easier, too.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

brianrepp
Community Manager

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

We have heard this from a lot of sources and are working on solution for this. Stay tuned for an update in an upcoming release.

Thanks,

Bankim

DDP-ED
Advocate

Smiley Happy

charegb
Community Manager

charegb
Community Manager
schneik-adsk
Community Manager

For the November update we added command + shift + s. This forces a recovery save locally.  Should fusion exit this recover save will ensure you don't loose too much work.  This does not create a version. when you close the document you will still be prompted to create a version.

This is just a short term improvement try and help as we realize Scott's suggestion where all events are automatically saved without user interruption. 

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

For the November update we added command + shift + s (or Ctrl+Shift+s). This forces a recovery save locally.  Should fusion exit this recover save will ensure you don't loose too much work.  This does not create a version. when you close the document you will still be prompted to create a version.

You can still click the actual Save icon or Crel+S to create a cloud version at any time.

Thanks,

Bankim

DDP-ED
Advocate

Wow, cool! Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report