Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select sketch dimension for formula

Select sketch dimension for formula

Whilst placing a dimension it would be great to have the ability to select another sketch dimension from within the active sketch, to add its parameter name (value) to the new dimension.

In Inventor, if I had dimension d1 = 100, then place diension d2, which should be half of d1, I would simply select dimension d1, which would then populate the dimension value in d2 as 'd1', then all I would do is type /2 = 'd1/2'.

Inventor preview.jpg

Instead with Fusion 360, I currently have to place dimension d1, then create dimension d2. If I know the name of the dimension, then I could then type 'd1/2'. However if I did not know it was called d1, then I have to ok d2, at whatever size it is, then select/hover over the dimension I need, to find it is called d1, then go back into editing d2, and type 'd1/2'. More hassle than I need it to be!

Fusion preview.jpg

4 Comments

This sort of thing would go a long way toward encouraging people to use parametric modeling. The same should also be included in 3D and wherever else parameters can be used.

TheGermanOddjob
Explorer

I am having this same issue, I find myself doing a lot of clicking and canseling just so I can see the dimension I am trying to reference.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Michael,

I am happy to let you know that your idea was implemented in our June release.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Mtimmis-Personal
Contributor
Hi Mike, That's great news, looking forward to having a go 🙂 Glad to help bolster the functionality in Fusion 360.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report