Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusable and sketch based patterns

Reusable and sketch based patterns

The ability to use the same pattern for several things could really speed up things, for example assembly of bolts into a bolt pattern.

Right now one first has to create a hole pattern and then a separate bolt pattern. Fairly easy to do with a circular pattern, but it becomes tedious when trying that with a hole pattern as created with te hole tool.

It would be nice to re-use an already existing pattern even for a circular bolt pattern even if you just want to change the number of bolts. 

For a hole patetrn, when adding new locations another screw has to be copy-pasted adn then assembled instaed of hving an instance appear based on a pattern. Real situations where a screw joins components that same pattern currently has to be generated three times. Once for the through holes, onece for the component the screws are threaded into and once for the screws.

Here is a screencast that hopefully helps explaining it.

Some of what I have explained above is called a Sketch based pattern in SW and can be really powerful.

6 Comments
kb9ydn
Advisor

Yes, a sketch based pattern and a feature driven component pattern.

C|

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

TrippyLighting,

Thank you for your idea - this is getting moved to future consideration.  The plan is to have the ability to reuse patterns in features like the future fastener wizard.  The are other projects that this depends on that are in the works, once completed it will allow us to start developments on this.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Cool. Thanks!

autodeskYZAAQ
Community Visitor

This would be hugely helpful. Any progress on this in the last 3 years?

marc.wildURG6N
Contributor

That would be really really helpful!

All other CADs use this way of work since many years...

steven2605
Community Visitor

I am a hobbyist and new to cad.  I choose fusion 360 because by description best suited my needs. Learning the application has been quite challenge do to the support training assumes previously acquired experience. Some training videos on the use of very basic tools would be very beneficial and the addition of template based features would be even better. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report