Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read only sharing level for project or individual files

Read only sharing level for project or individual files

As we use Fusion 360 for work that some clients ask us to do, we find that it would be a great feature to have a prject shared with someone who can see/view the objects, but not open them in the editor or download them.

This would be something like a sharing level that allows full access or read-only access to the assets in any specific project.  It would be great for our conversations with clients to be all archived in the project itself (thus the dashboard would be have read/write access), but in many cases, we bill the customer when we are done with all edits to the file, and do not want them having access to those files before we "open up" the project to them on completion of payment.

So, succinctly:  can we give clients access rights to the project, but deny them access to editing any design or downloading/exporting any design?

(Ideally, this would be at each item level: dashboard, and per file / folder, but I thought more general access would be easier to ask for to start...also this would get more people using the platform, since all clients would access it as well)

9 Comments
Helmi74
Collaborator

I think this could be similar to what i have suggested here - maybe read over this and give your kudos if you like it: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/Simple-Public-Viewer/idi-p/4938032

nkloski
Collaborator

Thanks, Helmi74...yes what you propose is something like what I wanted, but I would love for the ability to give clients access to the entire dashboard so that they could comment on designs and use the Wiki functionalitry that makes the sharing / collaboration aspect of Fusion 360 so compelling.  But yes, your suggestion is good as well, and I will vote for it.

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討
We are exploring adding read only access to individual items. The person sharing the data will be able to control if the sharee can download the data or just view it.
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

We are planning a specific set of sharing tools called "Stakeholder Sharing" that will do exactly what you describe.

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

RMB an item in Fusion and try to "Share Link" command to do this on an individual item basis.

jeffrey.jaje
Observer

Agreed, and a little more.

I'd like to have the ability to password protect the file from editing (including exportiong as STEP/IGES)

I'd like to be able to give the file to someone to view, render, make measurements, do analysis (zebra, curvature, draft, etc) but they can not make any edits to the model, read only mode. Plus comments and collaboration functions.

markshancock
Enthusiast

@charegb For our needs, I can not consider this idea 'implemented'.

Our FTC Robotics Team uses Fusion 360.
We have one project we use as a library and separate 'build' projects for each season.

Last season we had issues with members accidentally creating build items in the library project.

We would like to limit the Library Project permission to read only (or at least allow them to access the project with a link).

Using individual file links is not practical.

For others that agree, please support https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/read-only-project-members/idc-p/7367...

leonardschurg
Contributor

And also support this one, that has already more votes! (basically requests the same)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/lock-file-or-mark-as-read-only/idi-p/6488833

zhuravliki
Enthusiast

Access control with read-only option is essential for expanding Fusion 360 to multi-leveled teams. Please add this functionality to Fusion 360. It is very important.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report