Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch tools inside the design time line NEEDED

Patch tools inside the design time line NEEDED

The solid modeling approach is a good way when all you deal with are solids.

However if you do not have only solids it seems very limited in what you can do with it.

Here is an example:

Cloth iron body with a water spout tube in front: Spout is a BRep made by a TS object. I added some Caps as a Base feature but cannot join anything with the BRep of the spout BRep

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 10.55.17 PM.png

I really have to start in DM mode add my TS object convert to Breps patch in the open caps join the patches into solids.

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 11.03.07 PM.png

Then when I start the time line I can mix the object together - like adding a fillet command after the combine feature - and go back in time and move the spout solid

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 11.06.05 PM.png

But here is another draw back of the parametric env without patch tools. It limitis you only to mixing solids.

Here I started right away inside DM and used the split,  unstitch and loft command to build a custom blend between the spout and main body resulting in more control.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2TnZfTWFVamxzMkk/edit?usp=sharing

But what I cannot do is move any of those objects like the spout rotation or the cylinder which cuts the cloth iron open and then let Fusion reapply the blend command.

Here is a video from Alias showing how I sketch curves and create surfaces, project the curves onto the surfaces trim and everything updates when I move the input curves.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2Vm9yRk5wZlFrWFk/edit?usp=sharing

sorry the alias crashes here is a screenshow where I added a blend command and moved the right circle you see everything updates well.

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 11.47.02 PM.png

I hope this makes clear why I think also in the design time line this is imperative to have.

You cannot only work with solids.

2 Comments
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選
This should be in our next update.
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Use the boundary fill tool to combine surfaces with solids

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report