Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orbit Component

Orbit Component

Can't find a way to orbit a selected component so I can select a desired face/feature and avoid having to orbit the entire model.

If exists, please share with me how this is done... If it doesn't, please add it the the list of requests.

Best,

Brian

8 Comments
deyop
Alumni

If you hold the Shift key down and mouse down on the model with your middle mouse button you will see a little red dot that has now become the center of view rotation.  If for some reason you don't see it check you preferences.  There is an option that should be checked on by default for  "Enable camera pivot".

CameraPivot.png

bverboort
Advocate

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I wasn't very clear.... I just want to orbit an individual (or group of) selected component(s) in a model. Not the entire design.

TrippyLighting
Consultant

That would indeed be very helpful for inserting and joining parts in a bigger assembly. Currently after insertion you'll have to move the individual part into a location where the face you want to select (to place the joint origin) so it's not onstructed by other geometry. That gan get rather cumbersome and frustrating.

I really hate to bring that product name up yet again, but these small considerations (I would not even call that a feature) allow you to assemble large groups of components in Solid Works with absolute blazing speed.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

You want free orbit or orbit with the 3Dconnexion space mouse?

You can use the move command today to rotate component(s) but its not a transparent operation that would fit well into a positioning work flow.

What if we asked you to pick the part to position, then opened a small window with only that part in in so that you could orbit and see all faces unobstructed. Then you could click in the main window where you wanted to place the part. This might remove the need to do a lot of visibility swapping and model rotation/moving?

bverboort
Advocate

Thanks for the response Kevin,

Both of course! But a primary focus on Assembly workflow regardless of device type.

Your proposed solution seems sound... assuming it can be executed without being a real estate monster... or an eye chart.

As you already suspect, implementation should consider both initial component placement and assembly constraint applications.

(deja vu)

be well.

Brian

kb9ydn
Advisor

The ability to orbit a selected body/component would be very useful indeed.  Except I don't think I like the idea of bringing up a separate viewing window.  How about instead, assign an additional hotkey to limit orbiting to the selected entities.  So right now <shift> + middle mouse button orbits the whole design.  Maybe have <shift> + <ctrl> + middle mouse button orbit the selected entities?

C|

bverboort
Advocate
Or the "G" key 🙂
promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Bverboort,

Thank you for idea - this is getting archived due to lack of votes.  You can hold down the left button on your mouse to get a list of all the edges and faces that you can select without needing to orbit.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 3.58.17 PM.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report