Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object snap is really needed

Object snap is really needed

I was having a really hard time doing a type of precision modeling without Object Snap, I honestly think this should be on top of the todo list. Object Snap should work in all 3 workspace. Below is a list of the ones I'm used to having:

Object_Snap.jpg

61 Comments
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Absolutely agree.  I'm constantly looking for these capabilities in the Model workspace, and having to use work arounds that are not completely satisfactory and add complexity. 

keqingsong
Community Manager

Thanks for suggesting this, will let our dev teams know Smiley Happy

sickforska
Contributor

I'd like to add my vote to this. I think this should be priority number one in terms of adding modelling functionality.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

Describe a couple cases on how you see this working. 

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Any time you want to position an element- primitive, feature like a hole, etc. in some specific relationship to existing geometry, it's just very easy to enable the hints for the relation you want.  If I want to place the center of a hole perpendicular to the midpoint of one edge, and tangent to another cylindrical feature, it's easy to do in one operation.  The same applies if you are moving an object- hints are enabled.  There are some aspects of this in Fusion sketching, but having in the the model workspace would speed up and simplify the workflow a lot. 

I used this functionality constantly in Ashlar Cobalt, and it's the most missed thing in Fusion. 

johndstrunk
Explorer

I too wish there was a snap to face option in Autodesk Fusion 360.

This feature is already in Autodesk 123D Design and I'm quite surprised that such a simple but needed feature is not available.

Even in Autodesk 123D Design there are options for "Select Faces to Snap" as well as options to align concentric to circle object, midpoint, etc.

Options such as mentioned above: Concentric to Circle, Origin, Axis, End, Mid, Center, Intersection, Quadrant, Point, Parallel.

Should be options available to snap to face and/or plane.  An option to turn on "magnitize" for example making any moved object "snap" upon being placed on proximity to another object, as it works in Autodesk 123D Design, with pull down options to fine point align to (options mentioned above).

While this can kind of be done with a rigid joint, its certainly not intuitive in that way and getting it exactly right is a practice in frustration.

alex_lobos
Enthusiast

I couldn't agree more. Object snap and/or sketch relations are the reasons why as soon as I need precision on my models I need to close Fusion 360 and open another software.   Various times I've tried to add dimensions to a sketch and after a while I find myself frustrated because I can't keep a sketch in place or add dimensions/relations to it.

JMKz
Observer

I often make models that need to have relations inbetween sketches and other features. Even though I have just started using Fusion360 this omission has forced me to use other programs for the time being.

For instance:

I model a cylinder with a specific outer diameter I create another feature that will be extruded out of the side and patterned

If I now make the cylinder bigger/smaller for whatever reason the patterned feature doesn't update itself

OR I have to go in and change the dimension manually inside the patterned feature manually

In all other CAD programs I would simply created a construction circle and mate the center points of the construction circle with cylinder's center (or origin typically). Then I would make the two circles equal. EX: OD of cylinder is 1 inch and I change it to 1.125 inches, the construction circle would update from 1 inch to 1.125 inches as well, causing everything else in the sketch (with the construction circle) to move to the new OD of the cylinder.

TRACERfire
Advocate

How object snap would really assist my workflow is in being able to snap t-spline primitives to a an imported polyface base form.

I often use polyface 3D forms as reference for creating a surface model.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

igustafson
Observer

Another hand in the ring here for object snaps.
Having to draw "guide lines" (they're full lines, there are no "guides" that I know of) just draw an arc segment, etc and

put it right where I want it is a pain in the bu... I mean, not optimal.

buzzkross
Alumni

The concept of Fusion uses dimensions to place sketches.    That said, snap is really easy and everyone understand it.   I think we need to consider how to mix this into our direct modeling paradigm.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選
We would like more comments or specific workflows. We are talking through how to address this next week and any help to make sure we understand what you want will help our thinking. Thanks!
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

I'd like to be able to directly, in the drawing, measure the distance between the center points of two cylindrical features- center to center between holes, for instance, or center to edge or some other feature.   Or sometimes to be able to place an object based on the center point of a hole.  These just need the ability to snap to or reference a center.  

Ditto for other features, like intersections, midpoints, axis of a cylinder, planes, etc. It's not that one can't get there as Fusion currently is constituted, it's just that it requires a lot more clicks and construction for some actions that seem as if they should be very simple. 

What I have found most useful is more of less what is in the original post, with the ability to turn on or off the specific snaps.  

Ron

Helmi74
Collaborator

For me the most helpful feature in my workflow from other, similar tools would be to have temporary and non-temporary (set manually) guidelines. Temporary guide lines should automatically be created when touching snapping points and constraints like those shown in the screenshot of the initial post in this thread.

Here's a simple example how google sketchup handles this. When moving the smaller cube i start the movement by dragging the cube at the corner i want to use as an alignment, drag it along the edge of the bigger cube until the middle point of the edge snaps. I than can drag it away from the cube and get this temporary guide.

Additionally to what sketchup offers i'd like to see the distance from my snapping point to the guide creation point and possibly enter the desired value manually. This way i could easily place objects in relation to each other (well like already discussed on other ideas and forum threads ;-))

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented
Too many ideas nested here. The original idea has been addressed, at least partially, with the align command.
Helmi74
Collaborator

Is there a chance to archive ideas that have been implemented to free up room in the "top ideas" section? Would be great.

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Since this topic came up in the beta Meet-up today, I'll stir the stew again.  Yes, there are several ideas here, but the original idea is quite distinct and most of the discussion is about that- and it is not implemented. 

The Align tool has been improved, and the ability to snap T-splines to bodies is terrific.  But the original and basic idea discussed here has to do with the ability to precisely position objects or elements (including work planes, sketches, holes, new bodies, etc.) in relation to object features like those shown in the original post.  We still can't do that.  This is by far the biggest impediment to working in Fusion for me, and almost the only thing I don't love about the program.  If I could snap elements, bodies, or features the way I can joints, I'd be very happy. 

This topic is very closely related to this idea: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Request-a-Feature-Fusion-360/Improvements-to-the-Measure-tool/idi-p/43... relating to the Measure tool. Both are about the ability to snap to object reference points or features.   This post:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Workflow-precisely-positioning-a-sketch-plane...  visits the topic in relation to positioning work planes.

So I'd ask that we bump this up in priority and note that the original idea is not yet implemented. 

CGPM
Collaborator

Well object snaps is on my wishlist and the search brought this up.  I agree with the type of object snaps that are being described.  Other than a bump my only input is that what I want is just like Rhino3d.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report