Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MESH OBJECT OPTION

MESH OBJECT OPTION

I think it would be way rad if you could take an object and mesh it with different fills. For instance, taking the typical [ solid rabbit object ] and changing it into a [ mesh ] that you would have the option to use just the hollow structures [  example of an awesome deer head ] . This function would potentially have triangle and/or some sort of polygon fills that would calculate the most efficient arrangement of whichever fill to create the structure. 

This would be great because

1) You would save money on printing plastic because you only print with as much as you need to create the design. It would make prototyping cheaper. However, this might make print time last longer (since it would be a lot more intricate of a print than a solid object)

2) It would be an easy way to make a simple object interesting [ example ] 

3) Honestly, it's a really cool thing that I would want for a bunch of projects. 

3 Comments

This could be part of a more general «generative design» filter that can be dragged along the timeline and layered on top of components, bodies, or other filters.

I'm picturing something that lets the user make a geometry, specify constraints, and then do operations like «hollow» or «build lattice» to produce all sorts of organic, space filling structures that have specific properties like «minimize mass and relative motion of two points while maximizing tensile strength here and compressive strength there».

I'm not generally a huge fan of graphical programming, but this could actually be a great place for drag-n-dropping a flowchart of operations to build complicated filters with all sorts of interesting properties.

deyop
Alumni

We are working on a mesh workspace that would give you some of these capabilities.  Here is a posting that gives you some idea what our direction is.

I also posted on this thread that shows how I used Meshmixer "Make Solid" to make a hybrid mesh part.  This is a capability we plan on introducing into Fusion.

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report