Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers in Sketches

Layers in Sketches

Just as assemblies can be comprised of sub-assemblies and sub-sub assemblies, and components can be comprise of sub-components and sub-sub components that can have relations between on another, I would like sketches to be comprised of sub-sketches and sub-sub sketches, and I would like to be able to define relations (alignments, positions, dimensions) between objects in each layer, and the layers themselves.  Layers be a  2-dimensional spatial representation (literally a layer) or a collection of sketch objects.

I am thinking of somethign like the equivalent of hierarchical Layers in Illustrator.

For a few example, I'd like to place all the dimensions for a sketch in a dimensions layer, and all the constraints in a constraints layer, and be able to turn them on and off (visually and functionally).  

-jamie

14 Comments
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

kb9ydn
Advisor

I would separate this into at least two different functionalities.  One is to be able to toggle on and off the display of dimensions and constraints (I thought this was already in the works actually).  The other is to be able to separate sketch entities into groups.  In Solidworks they call these "blocks".  Each block is essentially its own self contained sketch with it's own local dimensions and constraints.  Blocks are also hierarchical and can be nested.

C|

I've always been convinced this is how multiple sketches in the same plane should be handled rather than creating new sketches. 

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Archiving due to lack of comments as requested.

Dislike.

12 votes and no request for specific comments (just comments, in general)

kb9ydn
Advisor

I think since the OP made the initial request it's up to him to follow up with additional information if requested.

But this does seem pretty straightforward so I'm not sure what additional comments would be needed.  And yeah, it would bave been better if AD had probed a little more instead of simply requesting comments.   Smiley Frustrated

C|

Hitting the «comments requested» button is like putting a question mark in. Without a question, it doesn't mean much 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just ran across a situation where layers would be very helpful, was disappointed they were missing.

Cheers!

Why is this archived at 12 votes ?!?

iSuat
Advocate

maybe this makes a little easier

Untitled-1.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also think this would be useful.  The case I'm working with is I'm creating a floor plan in Sketch.  I'd like to have one layer have the rooms, another have the doors, and a third have the windows.  That way I can toggle on these layers individually and see how everything pieces together.  Is there already a recommended workflow for handling this type of thing?

The easy thing to do would just be to make and label three co-planar sketches for rooms, doors, and windows [for the record - that that is so trivial makes this UI sugar not getting built out much more annoying to me]

w.maaker
Community Visitor

As you see it is now Feb. 2020. This issue about the lack of layers in sketches still remains.

Back in 2016 a community manager archived this discussion/thread but that doesn't mean that there aren't folks like me wanting and waiting for a change.

The first thing I did was "vote" for this suggestion and as you know that vote wasn't counted. I wonder how many others have tried to vote.

Dear Community Manager, 

Please initiate the change to Fusion 360 sketches and incorporate layers, so many of us would be happy!

You don't have to open this discussion or worry about votes or whether it should be archived, just get layers into our sketches!

Thanks,

Stephen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report