Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 offline mode??

Fusion 360 offline mode??

I have tried fusion 360. The interface looks great and I really like how the surfaces of the model are displayed in the viewport. The program runs more smoothly than fusion 2013 and generally has a more user freindly look to it. It really is  a big step from 2013 R1

I have some complaints!!!! I dont like this idea of having to be online to use the program. I know lots of people will benifit from the cloud and I know you guys have been working hard to implemiment this technology into the software. Im sure with all the time spent its not going anywhere. But I would really like the option to choose between offline and cloud mode.

The startup interface is a slightly cumbersome. in the sense that I cant just run fusion exe, press new project and get to work. What if Im working on a secret project and dont want to worry about my design getting into another users hands?? If I can work in the cloud, but keep all my work secure I suppose I can learn to accept the direction of fusion 360.

Is anything being done to address this cloud/offline issue? Ive read on various forums where people post comments about their frustration with fusion and the "cloud". Im not asking to have the feature removed. Id just like the option to be offline and keep my work on my machine only. Id like to be comfortable in knowing that I can always access fusion with or without an internet connection as well. Those are my two main things.

Thank you

28 Comments
doug.norton
Explorer

Yes you hit the nail on the head about a different set of problems....  I really miss the integration of Inventor and Fusion. I was very suprised when it was just gone when I did my update via subscription.  I actually raised a trouble ticket thinking that the install had gone wrong, that Fusion just dissapeared.

It would be really good to have Inventor/Fusion back!!!

Doug Norton

PLC Industrial Design

7 Alexis Way

Whitby Ontario L1R 2N9

whunter
Advocate

I understand that some clients/employers think like that.

It's just interesting that physically transporting something on a flash disk or portable hard drive is seen as more secure. Your flash disk can get lost or stolen, or it might break. It's a bit like carrying cash vs a debit card.

Anyway, just saying, I have the same battle with employers and clients.

zandernosler
Participant

I live in a pretty rural place and get my internet through "ranch fi." yes - it's as reliable and fast as it sounds. Anyway, being able to work off-line is key. How about dropbox-esque functionality? Or, let me easily start modeling on something off line and i'll connect later...

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

DesignerVisuals
Community Visitor

Ive been looking for a robust CAD package for quite some time. Went to a Maker Faire a couple weeks ago, and saw a demo of fusion 360. So I thought why not check it out? Went to download it, and found out it requires a 64 bit OS.

I didnt have 64 Bit windows installed, so I decided to bite the bullet and build another machine (I had most of the parts lying around, plus it was time to make the jump to 64 bit anyway). I was then able to download and install Fusion 360, and took it for a little test drive. I went through the 1st tutorial fairly quickly. So far so good. Until I saved the file.

I wanted to know WHERE the file was saved, I searched the entire machine for the file, and was not able to find it?! Then it dawned on me, since the software itself comes from the cloud, evidently that's where my file was stored. And I see no option to store the file on my own machine. Seriously?

Ive got to say, I have a big problem with this. Im NOT a big fan of cloud computing. Storing my data on a server that is not under my direct control? Uh uh.

Im working on a product prototype, and I have BIG concerns about my designs being stored "somewhere" out on the internet.

I found that Export DOES save the file locally, which is fine, but how come I dont have the choice about where the source file is saved?? That doesnt seem very difficult to me to implement. A checkbox on the Save screen that says "Store on cloud", so it gives ME the choice about where my data is stored.

Im also a software developer, have been one for over 30 years, and I realize the nightmares associated with selling software which runs on a plethora of OS's, machines etc. Not to mention "DLL Hell" on Windows.

So while I am old school, and am very much used to buying software, and installing it on my own machine, I am STARTING to warm up to the idea of using "rented software".

Its just this issue about where my designs are stored. Thats where I draw the line. Ive got enough concerns about subcontractors (manufacturers, machine shops etc) and researching filing a patent, so my competitors (with more $ than I have at their disposal) cant steal my designs, and patent them (to where I cant even sell my own product), without adding yet ANOTHER concern about where my data is at any given moment. That is MY proprietary data, and I want control over where it is stored.

If I choose to email a partial drawing to a sub, so I can obtain a quote on one of the parts in this product, I can make a special pared down version of the file, generate a PDF, and email that to the sub. Thats all under my control, who/when sees my designs, and how much of it a given person sees.

Im an entrepenuer, and my requirements for collaborative work are at/near the bottom of the list.

So how about it Autodesk? Can you create a simple checkbox on the Save screen, and allow me the choice to save MY data on MY own machine, or not? If not, this one point might be enough to be a deal killer for me.

ccwidmer
Community Visitor

I just joined and after reading the comments on this subject I wanted to point out that I do not see the cloud based system like the example of using a credit card or cash.  Being responsible for my how property and decisions is something I feel we all learn to do.  Without getting into all other situations in the world where we expect to be taken care of this situation takes away my options and completely out of my hands.  If I lose my information or let someone have access to my information that is my fault for not taking the proper precautions.  I know to have proper backup and encryptions and to not depend on others to take care of me.  Companies have things electronically stolen all the time from SSN to bank accounts to intellectual property. Basically if it’s worth something then it’s worth stealing. If it’s a big enough idea even large companies take it and deal with the issues latter. China does it all the time as well and companies here in the USA. I do not like the choice being taken from me and hard to imagine anyone that has anything worth protecting would do this if they had any other way. If they just wanted a free cad system them maybe. Safer to just buy your own cad system and secure your information.

DDP-ED
Advocate

The right policy at Dassault Systemes with their 3DEXPERIENCE platform: if you want not to bother, that run in the cloud Dassault Systemes, and if secret development, then install on your server. Conclusion: you can choose, also completely control and own their development.
The only drawback is too bulky system, and the price of the product.
Although an annual subscription to the module Assembly design, drawings, solid parts, and GSD (generative shape design) costs approximately as annual subscription for Autodesk Inventor. The latter is particularly surprising.
 Fusion 360 is very convenient, especially for concepts, but we need control and the right to choose where to store your files is important.
Look at Dropbox or Google drive: I'm working locally on my comp, I will find them in Explorer or Finder, I can manage the folders and they are synced to the cloud and there save version. But even better done in MEGA and Shugar Sync because they allow you to choose any local folder on your disk to sync with the cloud, just tick and select any directory path
 The same can be done with file storage, Fusion 360, and put a checkbox with a check mark which directories to keep only locally, and which directories to sync to the cloud 360.

studiobrash.com
Contributor

I agree with this, you can't run the software offline. You can't have a backup and work offline...

Last week, Fusion gets some troubles and I can't work with my customers, pretty bad.

Please add a real offline mode!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report