Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export a single body or component..?

export a single body or component..?

I feel like I was told this was in the mid-August update (that landed in September) but it seems that there still isn't an easy way to export a single component as a .step (or anything other than .stl) file. 

.. am I missing something obvious? If not, this is super annoying because my only workflow is 

build in an assembly -> Save Copy As -> open new assembly containing only a single part -> Export as .STEP file

This is not only a few extra unnecessary steps, but it pollutes «My Recent Data» with a bunch of garbage /and/ because Save Copy As defaults to using the prefix of the current assembly with something new appended to the end, my recent documents ends up being a long list of apparently identically named things and my only recourse is to guess which is the correct one (which is insanely annoying and a huge waste of time - not to mention that it's basically begging to have people get confused and use the wrong unsynchronized copy someplace which could end up being a very expensive and time consuming mistake if they were sending that to manufacturing).

Capture d’écran 2014-10-06 à 09.32.38.png

21 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

I am so for this and tired of always getting everything exported !!!

Seriously and the «work around» leaves you a huge mess of out-of-sync designs.

And this is not like some nebulous / highly nontrivial «make it stop crashing every 15 minutes». It seems like low-hanging fruit that's perfectly manageable in no time with minimal effort.

Another maddening thing about this aside from just polluting the dashboard and being needlessly convoluted - when I save the component in a design, it takes a significant amount of time (5-10 minutes) before it even shows up in the dashboard (presumably for no good reason uploading to S3 then downloading back).

Not awesome when you're chronically sleep deprived and fighting with (slightly fewer) crashes occassionally with data loss.

haughec
Autodesk

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I agree.  I've logged FUS-14953 to allow export of individual components.

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Awesome / thanks !

konkers
Enthusiast

Big +1 on this.  Just tried exporting my first design to my CAM package and ran into this.

ylevine
Advocate

+1

We need options to control which components to include in the STEP. Sometime you need only one component. However, sometimes you need a group of components, for example a injection molded 2-shot overmolded part needs the components for both the 1st and 2nd shot.

jgcruz
Explorer

Same problem here.  I think this is a really important feature.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

We are happy to report that export of sub components was made available in Jan 2014 update.

Awesome. I'm trying to try it but so far F360 is hanging when I try toopen my designs 😕

jgcruz
Explorer

It's implemented?  So how do you do it?...

jonquilmusic
Explorer

I haven't been able to determine in what manner this feature has been implemented.

Could somebody please tell me how to export a single body or component?

Phil.E
Community Manager

To export a single component: right click on it in the browser and pick Export.

Yeah this is implemented.

admin
Explorer

No, it's not properly implemented as I can't export a selected BODY. It only seems to work with COMPONENTS. You should also be able to export a selected BODY as well... So please implement this too!

Indeed
A.DavidL
Community Visitor

What I would do is select the bodies from the browser that I don't wish to include, right click and select REMOVE; Not delete, otherwise, it would show errors in the construction of the other bodies or components. Removing items will also show in your design history which allows you to undo it at anytime. Once all the non-desirable bodies are left out, just click export and pick your preferred file format (STEP, IGS or F3D)

david76ELN
Observer

Please implement feature to export single bodies.

Thanks

justin-hoehne
Explorer

Please Add this feature, 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report