Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to remove constraints

37 REPLIES 37
SOLVED
Message 1 of 38
panzinip
47327 Views, 37 Replies

Easy way to remove constraints

Not sure if this is an idea or a bug or I'm still a novice user:

When one draws a curve on top of another curve, and insert points on the reference curve's constraint markers (centre, line middle, etc), the resulting figure seems to become irremediably locked to the first one — it cannot be subsequently moved. I have tried removing the contraint via the Constraint panel, to no avail. Locking and unlocking curves or curve elements to reference points, should be as easy as simply clicking on the constraint icon, to activate or deactivate it.

Labels (3)
37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
haughec
in reply to: panzinip

You can delete a sketch constraint by selecting the corresponding constraint glyph (the small, white icon in the canvas indicating coincident, midpoint, etc) and then pressing the Delete key or selecting Delete from the context menu.  I think that Fusion could provide better feedback that the glyphs are selectable/selected - I'll look into this.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles Haughey
Fusion 360 User Experience Architect
Message 3 of 38
haughec

Charles Haughey
Fusion 360 User Experience Architect
Message 4 of 38
jjurban55

Haughec, thank you for that!  And important to know Select button on toolbar must first be selected/highlighted in order to select the constraint glyphs.  I find it important to go back to that Select frequently, to not accidently place constraints.  If little message comes up saying "select objects to constrain" then need to go back to Select.  Now this sketch constrainment is working great!

Message 5 of 38

Thanks

Sirisha Shashikanth
Autodesk expert Elite Member
Product Designer, Online Fusion 360 Trainer
Mechatheart
LinkedIn & Instagram

Message 6 of 38
tabotebogo
in reply to: haughec

Wow, that was easy after reading your solution. Thank you!

Message 7 of 38
chrisplyler

@haughec wrote:

I think that Fusion could provide better feedback that the glyphs are selectable/selected - I'll look into this.

While you're at it, could you take a look at why SOME constraint glyphs aren't shown at all until you hover over or select the related sketch element, even though the Show Constraints sketch option is turned on?

Message 8 of 38

@chrisplyler  Dude @haughec's reply is from 2014. Not sure he's even still on the Fusion 360 team.

Might have been replaced by Chad. You know what that means 😉

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 38

Aw, crap. I pulled a "chad."

Message 10 of 38
Shoni.zelqiumpro

What white glyph? I am so lost and frustrated right now.

Message 11 of 38

These indicate constraints, such as coincident, parallel, horizontal/vertical, etc. They can be selected and deleted.

constraint glyphs.JPG

Message 12 of 38
makin.ugm

Hi guys sorry to bring this old thread again, but I can't find my symmetry constraint, it's nowhere to found. I have clicked on the constrainted lines and even all lines, but nosymmetry constraint found. My symmetry contraint is in the left and right of the rectangle points over the middle vertical construction line.
Anybody know how to remove symmetry constraint? Is it possible to show list of all constraints as in Freecad?
Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 15.37.50.png

there is a nice parameter window but it only contains dimensions and no constraints

Message 13 of 38
davebYYPCU
in reply to: makin.ugm

You are mistaken, the green axis line does not work for symmetry, therefore there is no symmetry in that sketch yet.

Drag a blue line with the mouse, the line on the other side would move

if symmetry was in existence.

sllt.PNG

Symmetry icon looks like this and will not be hidden, and 3 icons one for each selection..

Message 14 of 38
chrisplyler
in reply to: makin.ugm

If you OBSERVE what SEEMS like symmetry in that sketch, it is actually because the green line is instead constrained MIDPOINT to the top and bottom of the rectangle. So... the left and right sides of the rectangle must always be equidistant from that green line.

EDIT: Oops...cancel that. I realise that the green line isn't a sketch line at all, and that the Midpoint constraint is probably between the top line and the arc endpoint.

Message 15 of 38
makin.ugm
in reply to: davebYYPCU

For anyone having the same problem, I finally found the symetry symbol is placed near one end of the symetry line. And my line is very long so i have to extremely zoom out to find it there. Thanks for the replies guys. 

Message 16 of 38
genieT7B7W

I have been trying to remove horizontal constraints by left clicking on the constraint symbol and then pressing Delete. That has not removed them. It has on occasion removed the dimension or the whole circle.

I have eleven circles that should have the same istance to the axis. Two are greyed the others are black. I want to change the height of all. I have constrained them and then try to change the height by giving the correct dimension. This refuses to do so. Therefore my plan is to remove the constraints, enter the proper dimension of one circle and then constrain the remaining ten with the one that has been placed correctly. What do you think of this plan? Thanks.

Message 17 of 38
g-andresen
in reply to: genieT7B7W

Hi,

@genieT7B7W wrote:

Two are greyed the others are black. I want to change the height of all. 

1. this means that they are not in the active sketch and cannot be edited.

To use them for constraints, they must be projected into the active sketch.

2. the same applies to constraints from non-active sketches

günther

Message 18 of 38
genieT7B7W
in reply to: g-andresen

Günther, thank you for your reply. What I really want is for everything that I sketch to be active, so that I can undertake changes and corrections if necessary. Please let me know how to do that. Thank you.

Message 19 of 38
TrippyLighting
in reply to: genieT7B7W

Create all circles in one sketch.

Peter Doering
Message 20 of 38
genieT7B7W
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thank you for your quick reply. Since I already have the circles what should I do? Should I remove them all and try again? How do I do that. I managed to remove several but some remained.

I would really like to make everything in one sketch so that I can get full control of my design. How can I do that?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report