Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drag-n-drop and copy-paste between designs

drag-n-drop and copy-paste between designs

I'm sure this has come up before (possibly even from me) but it'd be great to be able to copy bodies / components from one design and paste them into another (or drag them to the tab of another and drop them in).

As nearly as I can tell the current workflow for that is to «save a copy as», create a whole new design and then place the parts which clutters the dashboard (with things nearly indistinguishably named by default) and seems like a few needless extra / time consuming steps (especially given that the cloud sync isn't instantanious)

9 Comments
garin
Alumni

Great suggestion Scott. We have a few ideas on how we could do something like that. One idea is to have the dashboard minimize to a sidebar where you could drag and drop from it into your current design. what do you think of something like that?

That would work Garin but I'd be happy with something that lets me drop something from the current design into another open tab without going through the dashboard at all.

garin
Alumni

Great feedback Scott, thanks for the insight. 

AbdnAllHope
Advocate

Any type of copy paste between designs would be handy.  

I would tend to agree that having to go to the dashboard sounds like it's still an extra step though.

phil

garin
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討
Can you elaborate the types of things you would like to copy/paste or drag/drop? Are you mostly wanting to copy/paste & Drag/drop mostly components and bodies or do you want other things like sketches and work geometry? Would you expect joints to come over?

Ideally everything but bodyies and components would be more than 98% there for my use even if you just drop them in as direct models and lose their history.. though having a way to link them so updates in one design can get propagated to others would be amazing (though I'd definitely give people the option to link or not to avoid pissing some people off)

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

Thanks. The drag and drop and linking are two big projects we have.  The drag and drop of items out of a sidepane that lets you see all your project data should arrive first. We will post some screen shots or videos shortly.

When you have linked files, do you want there to be any control over if you can edit in place? For example add features is the active assembly that changes the part therefore changing it in all other referenced assemblies?

Sorry for the delay.

I'd link by default (though be sure to tell people that you're doing that so they're not startled by it) and then have an easy way to break the link (or better but much trickier for you guys - each drop is a fork and then there's a way to merge changes between different models).

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report