Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts

Are there any keyboard shortcuts in Fusion 360?

The mouse interface is very cool, but personally I find a combination of the keyboard and mouse faster, whether I am doing CAD, photoshop, whatever.

126 Comments
keqingsong
Community Manager

Hello MooSooBoo, are you talkinga bout Hot Keys for various commands?

MooSooBoo
Contributor

I guess they could also be called HotKeys. e.g. hit one key for orbit, another for zoom, another for sketch, another to extrude etc

I did try help and a google search but could find anything. Have I missed something?

keqingsong
Community Manager

Gotcha. This topic has been requested many times, and there are couple shortcut keys that will help you speed up your design process. With that being said, we are working on implementing more shortcut keys. Here are a couple good to know. 

control+b(for mac) = toggle box mode

hold shift + hold middle mouse button = rotate

hold shift + click then hold middle mouse button = rotate around point

command + z(for mac) = undo

ctrl + z(for pc)

command + y(for mac) = redo

ctrl + y(for pc)

Does this help? 

MooSooBoo
Contributor

Thanks, I will give those a try.

I think as far as most power users are concerned, the more shortcut keys you have the better. In my experience this is true across all OSs, but is maybe especially true on a Mac. The UI on a Mac is much misunderstood, but one of the central concepts was simultaneous use of the mouse and keyboard for graphical jobs, which provided a powerful and efficient worflow in many applications like Photoshop and Illustrator. The much maligned single button mouse actually made perfect sense once you understood that concept, but most other OS users just go "why only a single button?" (or ruder:-) I actually still have right click disabled on my Apple mouse as I simply never need it. And we don't have a middle button on Apple hardware! Awful aren't we? Luckily the dominant OS in the marketplace has more sense and provides more buttons:-)

ps I don't want to start a flamewar, this isn't an Apple fanboy site, but when I ran my photography business, I actually benchmarked Windows, Linux and OS X across a normal photographers daily work. I'm familiar and reasonably competent with all three OSs and each has their positives. But across the month that I ran my benchmark, for my photoshop and office related tasks, the Mac was consistently 30-40minutes per day quicker for similar tasks. btw the Windows and Linux tests were run on a dual Xeon tricked out Dell workstation, the OS X tasks on a stock Apple MBP, so it wasn't hardware. I can think of lots of reasons why the Mac was consistently so much faster, but the keyboard shortcuts were a big part of the possible explanations e.g. to cut and paste between applications on Windows and Linux CTRL+C, Alt + Tab, CTRL + V. On a Mac it is CMD+C, CMD+Tab, CMD+V. The thumb always stays in the same place making for easier muscle memory and less time between finger moves. I used Windows daily for 15 years so my muscle memory should have been OK by then, but within a week of stating on OS X I could cut and paste large amount of data faster.

What's the point of my babble? Keyboard shortcuts can be really important. I'd like to easily save half an hour a day from something simple.

I would be totally interested in your take on this, or an usability tests or information you have. If you like, I know this is fringe as most people like the mouse:-)

keqingsong
Community Manager

Thanks for your input, definitely valuable insight. And I agree, appropriate hotkeys can significantly speed up the design process. At the very moment, out whole team is working towards launching Fusion 360, which is coming very soon. In the meantime, let's keep this conversation going, because we would love to gather more feedback from you. 

dsp39
Advocate

I like keyboard shortcuts, too.  Love the way you can assign custom shortcuts in Solidworks.  Realistically, I'll be switching between CAD platforms for the foreseeable future, and the ability to configure CAD environments to have common shortcuts is pretty awesome.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

MooSooBoo
Contributor

Mainly repeat of what was said above:

1. most used commands should have a shortcut key even those accesible by the mouse right click

2. shortcut keys should be customisable to allow easy transition or use by users of other CAD packages.

Thanks for considering this.

TRACERfire
Advocate

+1 to customisable keyboard shortcut keys

Being able to discretly select Model, Sculpt & Patch modes as well as their commands (ie Loft, Extrude, Join, Patch, Merge, Quadball.... everything!) would really reduce the amount of mouse movement that's currently required.

Also, and I may post this as a separate feature request, the ability to create macro's in order to string commands together would be great too.

igustafson
Observer

Yes, definitely needs macros, and/or the ablity to make/set them, for all Create, Modify, Symmetry, Assemble, Sketch commands.

Thank you in advance Autodesk!

Helmi74
Collaborator

I'm kinda late on this topic but wanted to throw in that when thinking about default keyboard shortcuts don't think too much about ctrl/alt/cmd-combinations. Normally simpley the keys aren't used for anything.

For example Photoshop or Sketchup simply use the alphanumeric keys for most used functions. 

Sketchup examples:

C - circle

P - push/pull

R - rectangle

L - line

E - erase

Maybe there could be a good way to have such an easily accessible set of shortcuts depending on the mode you're in (model, sculpt, patch)

Helmi74
Collaborator

Status is on "comments requested" for a few months now - just wanted to pull this up again as i find it extremely important for usability reasons.

lure23
Collaborator

I have a dual opinion on keyboard shortcuts. It would be great, if they are completely customizable. The problem in fixing them too early (as in, now) is that:

- people are coming from multiple earlier CAD systems, with their own sweet keyboard shortcuts

- badly selected shortcuts are really difficult to change, later

- keyboard shortcuts should be co-designed with teams s.a. Sim360 so that there's as little variation between the apps/modules as possible (personally, I see Fusion 360/Sim 360 as one single app)

OS X allows keyboard shortcuts to be added to *any* application menu items. It's under Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Application specific shortcuts (or similar, I'm guessing the English terms here). However, this only applies to the top-of-the-screen menus, not i.e. context sensitive logic within the program.

MooSooBoo
Contributor
I totally agree they should be customisable, it's hard to relearn muscle memory after years of using a particular system if you want to encourage serious users to switch.
lure23
Collaborator

+1 for customizable. Let the community make those mappings, like they do for many text editors.

Adding to MooSooBoo that people might also continue using those familiar tools alongside Fusion 360. Plus the overall approach of F360 is refreshingly open: ability to import and export to as many formats as possible is really something new. Thus the same sunny approach should cover keyboard shortcuts as well.

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Another +1 for customizable shortcuts.  I found I would sometimes create a shortcut key on the fly to deal with a situation where I had to have a lot of repetitive operations.  Cobalt, If I recall correctly, gave you a table with every possible command and tool selection, you could assign any desired key combo to any command or tool, including changing the ones set up by default.  It would warn yo if you were creating a duplicate. I found this very useful.

karthur1
Mentor

The shortcut keys would be great.  What would really be awesome if they were the same (when possible) as Inventor. Customizable is nice too, but for the most part, I use Inventor just like it is straight out of the box. If they are customized heavily, that is something that you have to carry along when a new release comes out.

Probably the one that I use the most is "M" for measure and Orbit.  To measure in fusion, you have to move the mouse to "Inspect" ,click, then move to "Measure", click, then move to what you want to measure. In Inventor, I click "M" and then start measuring.

For the orbit, Inventor is F4, then use the Left mouse button to orbit. To center the pivot point, you just click where you want it and it centers about that point. Very easy.  It is frustrating to have to remember to use Shift+wheel click to orbit in Fusion and I am still looking for how to center the orbit in Fusion.

lure23
Collaborator

Surely Autodesk will place the customizations as part of the Cloud user profile, so that changing them on one computer affects also the others. Otherwise, I will doubt Autodesk has any idea what Cloud really means. 

kat.ingalls
Alumni

Hey all! Wanted to follow up on this. Just posted a list of keyboard shortcuts to the forums! Check it out:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Share-your-Fusion-360-knowledge/Fusion-Keyboard-Shortcuts/td-p/4654087

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report