Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve section analysis

Improve section analysis

Hi,

today I played with the section analysis and found out one problem.

If two bodies are positioned side by side and you do a section analysis you cannot distinguish the two bodies anymore.

(see image below)

The cut surfaces are presented using the same material, even if both bodies have a different material.

It would be great if the cut surface shows different materials as well.

Further more there is no edge visible between the two bodies so it looks like it is one body weld together.

Another feature I would like to have is to create one single section analysis for each body / component.

So the cut surface you can set for each body on a different position.

F360_section.jpg

Thanks!

19 Comments
dsp39
Advocate

I'd like to be able to visually distinguish unique bodies in section views.  At the moment, I see this neat granular texture all over the place.  So what I do now is highlight the distinct component and then I can see where it is.

section.PNG

sectionhighlighted.PNG

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定

dsp39
Advocate

It would also be useful to be able to measure features revealed by a section.  In the attached image, I'd like to measure the distance between the two ends of this cylindrical cut.  Right now, I believe my only option is to hide one end, measure, click face, hide end, show other end, click it.  You know, I think I remember how long that cylinder is...measureSection.PNG

AdamEllison
Contributor

This is definitely an issue for me too! I'd love to see the section analysis use the colour of the parent body but perhaps with some subtle texture applied as if the part has been cut open. Obviously interference analysis would be great too!

rb
Participant
Participant

This is a problem for me too. I use the section analysis quite a bit, and the patterned shading is not really helpful, and sometimes very confusing as the scale of the patterning can sometimes change at random places (not at the change between different bodies).

Showing edges between bodies would be a great start, and replacing the patterned shading with something related to the colours of the bodies would be even better. 

AdamEllison
Contributor

Absolutely agree!

This is absolutely critical to detailed mechanical work, especially explaining functionality to machinists etc. If the texture of the section was coloured the same as the body, with a line between coincident bodies to distinguish bodies of similar colour, I would call this an excellent feature.

As it stands, I'm too embarrased to show sections to my colleagues due to the "baby puke" texture and lack of clarity between solid bodies.

Looking forward to an update!

garin
Alumni

great feedback on this and I must say I agree on this one. Adam, it was great to meet you this week and hear about this and other thing you would like enhanced. Thanks to both of you for posting here, keep it up!

garin
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

haughec
Autodesk

I agree that we need to do this.  I've logged an internal request (FUS-12363) to revise hatching and/or display edges to differentiate bodies.

Thanks for the input.

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

thburn
Collaborator

Hi haughec,

thanks!

haughec
Autodesk

This has been addressed in an internal build, and will be available in our next relese.

Section.png

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

haughec
Autodesk

This request is a duplicate of http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/Improve-section-analysis/idi-p/487605... and will be addressed in the next Fusion update.

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: 実装予定

WHolzwarth
Mentor

Seems to be still missing in Build 2.0.1480

Walter

Section analysis-Outside.jpg

Section analysis-Inside.jpg

maruska
Advocate

Yeah - I'm not seeing this either.

I could also imagine that as part of the section analysys feature in the tree, you could define different colors/textures per face/body.

eric.strebel
Collaborator

SO did this get fixed yet, seems to still be an issue to date.... build 2.0.1486

Can we make it so that is shows the apearance material color or the pyhsical material?? The concreat material look not representative of my products materials.

Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 8.18.29 AM.png

eric.strebel
Collaborator

It's defintily not implemented, any idea when this might get solved??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report