Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil improement

Coil improement

Coil really needs an option to have the profile perpendicular with the helix not parallel with the axis. It looks OK if you have a fine pitch.

Capture.PNG

But if you have a course pitch the cross section becomes deformed.

Clipboard01.png

Mark.

7 Comments

Oh wow yeah that's awful

Also - how could 6 other people look at this, yet I'm still the first to upvote it ?!?

It's not like we have a finite number of votes, and it'd be hard to find a more obvious «no-brainer»

HughesTooling
Consultant

perhaps it's because I can't spell improvement! 

[retracts vote]

kb9ydn
Advisor

That is exactly what it needs.  The profile needs to be normal to the helix.  Though I wonder if a sweep might be better for this.

C|

Ndenekamp
Advocate

Yes, that definitely needs to be fixed. 

If you get stuck because of this, a workaround is to get the size and pitch to where you want, then set the section position to inside. Make a sketch, 3D Include the outside seam line of the coil. In the browser remove the body of the coil. Use the pipe command to recreate the coil using the 3D sketch. Now the profile will run normal to the curve.. 

But yea, that should obviously be an option (the default even) in the coil command to begin with.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thank you for your idea, this is getting archived.  We have plans to create a helix sketch and expand the sweep tool to control pitch.  These improvements will solve the issue that you bring up, we feel that the coil command is not the correct place for this functionality.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report