Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean-up old versions after F360 update

Clean-up old versions after F360 update

I find that after an update is pushed to Fusion 360 users. I have multiple copies laying around my hard drive. Some of which take more than a GB of drive space...

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 9.25.35 AM.png

8 Comments

Yeah that just makes me cringe especially given the sizes

kb9ydn
Advisor

My <user>\localdata\Autodesk folder has like 3.5GB of stuff in it.  Most of which appears to be old files from previous upgrades or something.

C|

cekuhnen
Mentor

yeah and this is not an old complaint!

MartinMajewski
Advocate

This supports my thesis that the way Fusion 360 (the dmg version, not the App Store version) gets installed on OS X is totally a bad design decision.

Look here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/125/article-id/113/page/1#comments

Given the sheer inconvenience of the folder location and naming the ordinary user would never considering to look into it for redundant file corpses, but wonder where his or hers diskspace disappears.

My current folder content:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-25 um 09.10.17.png

maruska
Advocate

Another update. More junk. I also ended-up with multiple Autodesk Fusion 360.app icons in my dock, so I had to trial-and-error my way to the most recent version. Please fix this mess, Autodesk. Just install and update the app like every other Mac application!

Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 10.54.58 AM.png

brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

svelez
Alumni

To follow up on Brian's status change...

It has always been the intention to clean up old versions as they are no-longer needed.  Unfortunately, the application has been creating files that the installer/updater did not know about, so these folders are left behind.

Our apologies, and we will look in to addressing that.

As a prompt for more information... these unintentional remnants should be very small.  A couple of megabytes perhaps.  There are workflows where we will have two complete installs on the system at once, but one of them (the older one) shoudl eventually get [mostly] removed... specifically the next time the most recent build is launched.

If someone sees this not happening... i.e. if multiple very large folders persists across several launches of the application, please let us know so that we may investigate the cause.   Post an issue on the forum or PM me directly.

Thanks,

Steven

MartinMajewski
Advocate

Thank you for the response, Steven. 🙂

Btw.: Maybe this is another reason to reconsider the distribution structure of the "non-AppStore" installation? 😛

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report