Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linked cad files

linked cad files

I thought it would be really good to have any componant that is imported/inserted into another remain linked to the original file so that any updates that are made flow through to an assembly etc. This would be esspecially important if you are collaberating with others on a design.

Also it would be great to be able to insert a parametric design into one that is not. This feature doesn't currently seem to be supported.

11 Comments
AbdnAllHope
Advocate

Sometimes it is a relief that associativity does not exist, but I think this is expected functionality for those coming from other applications.  It's going to need to get on the road map soon if you expect those who are testing and potentially switching to stick around.

phil

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選
We agree that we need associative model references for distributed designs. We are working on a solution for fall. -Bankim
justin
Contributor

Parts brought into an assembly should allow you to select what version to use (at any time, not just on insert)

Tags (4)

This would be huge and really goes a long way toward making designs modular.

herzinj
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装予定

This is a necessity at some point, and will be tied in with the improvements in associativity / xreffing in the future.  I’m not sure if this will be in the first release of those improvements, but definitely should be in there sooner rather than later.

That's awesome to hear and it's one of a few things after stability that we need so we're not forced to switch to Solid Works.

justin
Contributor

I don't know about switching to Solidworks... Switching to Inventor, yes.  Solidworks, no.  

I'd really like to understand where Fusion 360 fits.  Like I've said before, I've never heard a good answer on that.  For us, Inventor HSM does (almost) everything we need to do.  We'd like to use Fusion 360, because we'd like to recommend it to our users.  However, it's becoming clear that it is just that - a tool for tinkerers and makers.  It's not a tool for producing products with a level of complexity beyond a few components.  It's certainly not well suited, currently, for complex mechatronics designs.  

Hey ADSK!  Take a look at Fine Wood Working and other folks who seem to be using Sketchup for woodworking products.  Its a >$10B annum industry.  What's the plan for converting Sketchup users (and there's a metric **** ton of them...) to Fusion 360 users?

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

I don't think fusion knows where it fits yet.
I think it's focus at the moment is quick design and rapid prototyping but it's not capable enough to even do that well.
It's definitely a long ways from competing with the big names but the price tag also is. That's why I use it lol.

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定

charegb
Community Manager

The release after Feb will include distributed assemblies which will allow you to not only references different components but pick the version of those components to reference.

Thanks,

Bankim

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

June update included distributed designs capability.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report