Discussion Groups

Fusion 360 Beta

Valued Contributor
mikegem
Accepted Solution

Blocker - can't use solid model mode

376 Views, 5 Replies
12-23-2013 08:38 PM

Apologies if I've double posted - an earlier attempt didn't seem to go through.

I’m having an issue with building solid models in Fusion360 Beta. Basically, it’s impossible for me to make a solid. I’ve attached a video showing the issue.

Any attempt to build a solid object results in an object that does not display and that has properties of zero area and volume. So, for example, an attempt to model a box results in no box being created on the screen, and the new body’s properties box shows zero for area and volume.

Shifting to sculpt mode and creating a box gives a normal box form upon which “finish form” operates successfully.

In solid model mode: box, cylinder, sphere, and coil do not work. In sculpt mode, all six primitives work.

Information:

1. System: MacBook Pro retina, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, OS X Mavericks with all available updates.

2. Software conflicts: issue occurs whether Fusion 360 is the only running app or is one of several running.

3. Have tried the usual maintenance things: permissions repair, reinstalled OS X. Also removed Fusion 360 Beta per instructions at http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/HOW-TO-UNINSTALL-FUSION-360-BETA/td-p/4308880 and reinstalled - no change in the issue.

4. Fusion 360 (*not* the beta) does not exhibit the issue at all. I can build solid models in it fine.

I may be doing something trivial that’s causing this issue, but I sure can’t figure it out. Would appreciate any help. So far, I can’t explore the new beta goodness and would love to. Please let me know what further information you’d like. Thanks very much.

Please use plain text.
Employee
jinhai.zhu

Re: Blocker - can't use solid model mode

12-23-2013 11:31 PM in reply to: mikegem

Hi mikegem,

Thanks for using Fusion 360! 

We've successfully reproduced the issue you reported.

There is a setting in preferences, you can toggle it off to continue your trial in Fusion 360.

preferences.png

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Employee
jeff.strater

12-24-2013 06:56 AM in reply to: jinhai.zhu
Mikegem,

Did that suggestion help? I'm interested to learn more about how this problem occurs, so we can be sure to find the root cause. Did you change any preferences? What unit system were you using (mm, in, etc)?

Also, do you see the same problem if you create a sketch, draw a rectangle, then use Extrude, or is this primarily a Solid Primitive (Box, Cylinder, etc) problem?

Thanks,

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)
Please use plain text.
Employee
jeff.strater

12-24-2013 07:07 AM in reply to: jeff.strater
Never mind, I have been able to reproduce it. It is a problem with the "inch" unit system. And the suggestion above will definitely work.

We apologize for your trouble, and thank you for reporting it.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)
Please use plain text.
Employee
garin

12-24-2013 12:22 PM in reply to: mikegem

Great find Mike, thanks for submitting this!!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
mikegem

12-26-2013 12:45 PM in reply to: mikegem

Hi, All - Response delayed by Holidaze...

Flipped that unit display setting in preferences, solid modeling works fine now. Thanks very much to everyone for your help!

Regards,

Michael

Please use plain text.