Did you mean: 

Freewheel, regarding mobile devices and security issues

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
newmediatech
2564 Views, 9 Replies

Freewheel, regarding mobile devices and security issues

Hello,

My company is working on Windows Mobile and other mobile platforms, and one of our customers wants to see DWFs on mobile devices. Because of the compact-size screen and the limited input source, Freewheel does not work too well with our mobile devices. I heard that Autodesk Lab was working on Freewheel for mobile devices. Are you going to release a compact Freewheel for mobile devices? Or even better, will Autodesk provide any APIs to integrate with mobile platforms(Windows Mobile, iPhone, etc) seamlessly for viewing DWFs?

Our another concern is the security. As many people discussed before, we also want our customers' DWFs to be on a private website rather than to be public. Do you guys have any new plans?

Thank you very much!
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: newmediatech

Are you using http://freewheel.autodesk.com/mobile/ as your URL? That URL
assumes a very small screen size.

wrote in message news:6330694@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,

My company is working on Windows Mobile and other mobile platforms, and one
of our customers wants to see DWFs on mobile devices. Because of the
compact-size screen and the limited input source, Freewheel does not work
too well with our mobile devices. I heard that Autodesk Lab was working on
Freewheel for mobile devices. Are you going to release a compact Freewheel
for mobile devices? Or even better, will Autodesk provide any APIs to
integrate with mobile platforms(Windows Mobile, iPhone, etc) seamlessly for
viewing DWFs?

Our another concern is the security. As many people discussed before, we
also want our customers' DWFs to be on a private website rather than to be
public. Do you guys have any new plans?

Thank you very much!
Message 3 of 10
newmediatech

Thanks! I must got the wrong link last week.

Our customers ask for a highly confidential environment for their DWFs. Is there any other ways to that we can integrate Freewheel with any authentication so that we can put DWFs on a encrypted server?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

The files on Freewheel are as secure as email. At this time we do not have a
way to secure them like we do for solutions like Buzzsaw. We may address
this in the future. You are not the only person to ask for this.

wrote in message news:6333317@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks! I must got the wrong link last week.

Our customers ask for a highly confidential environment for their DWFs. Is
there any other ways to that we can integrate Freewheel with any
authentication so that we can put DWFs on a encrypted server?
Message 5 of 10

"The files on Freewheel are as secure as email" or as insecure which is why Freewheel can not be recommended to fill the lack of a Mac OS DWF viewer.

Robin

AEC Collection & BIM 360 | Windows Surface Book & HP Z6 Workstation | Android Mobile

RobiNZ CAD Blog

Message 6 of 10
newmediatech
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Scott,

Do you guys have any updates on the security topic? Thanks.

Message 7 of 10

I am not sure what you are looking for. Autodesk Freewheel and Project Freewheel allow users to upload DWF files. They are about as secure as email. In general no one will obtain an URL to one of your DWF files on Freewheel unless you send it to them. I don't envision this changing in the immediate future. I recognize that if you need something more secure, then a solution like Buzzsaw is  more in order.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 10

Hi Scott,

If you put anything accessible for Freewheel, other people can also see it using web spiders. Commercial apps can be defined "secure" only if the contents are encrypted, don't you think? That's also the reason that now, most email servers are using HTTPS by default. But yet, emails are considered insecure that people are requested not to send important information via Email, such as bank account, SSN, etc..

Our client would like to view DWF diagrams on their cellphone. I noticed that the DWF viewer is only available on iPhone, are you guys working on a DWF viewer on Android?

Now the only cross-platform solution is Freewheel. However, we also need our DWFs to be encrypted, meaning not anyone on the Internet can see it even if they have the link.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks a lot.

-WZ

Message 9 of 10

Right now AutoCAD WS (http://www.autocadws.com) is getting the attention in terms of a sharing solution for drawings that is platform independent. The Labs team is working on Project Photofly (http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/photo_scene_editor/) and Project Twitch (http://labs.autdoesk.com/technologies/trials/). We may circle back to Freewheel at a later date.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 10
ewahrman

newmediatech ,

I experienced the same issue dealing with security.  Simply maintain the designs on your own server and have your customers log into your website.  There login will determine which designs they can have access to.

EW
wahrdesign

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report