Community
FormIt Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FormIt Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FormIt topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d printing and exports from Formit

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
kommune81
1774 Views, 9 Replies

3d printing and exports from Formit

Hello fellow modellers

I've been modelling several hours some detached houses out of an aerial photo with the intention to 3d print on a Printrbot Simple Metal via Autodesk Meshmixer and Repetier Host or Cura. The two main issues for me so far is managing to print in scale(s) but that is secondary to just getting a printable model at all.

I have problems with my completed 3d model when it meets the analysis and repair functions (algorithms with variable settings), Normally I export to .obj and take this into Autodesk Meshmixer or netfabb to "waterproof" it and make it printable. But that process destroys the carefully modelled roofs, awnings and other architectural objects.

I havent tried to take it / export via Revit and then 3dsmax - perhaps the repair options are more delicate and finely tuned in 3dsmax?
Please comment on best practice, making models from Formit truly printable and accurate from an architects point of view..

Regards,

Harald
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
kommune81
in reply to: kommune81

I've tried troubleshooting this all day - and as far as I understand, the .obj-export from Formit have several "non manifold" errors and "naked edges" (Sculpteo and Shapeways posts with netfabb and Rhino as tools).

Perhaps 3dsmax or Revit Family editor is capable of setting all of the objects (houses) as solids, NURBS or closed polysurfaces in a delicate way, house by house?

Message 3 of 10
vollart

Do you mind posting the AXM file or maybe just an image of your project so I can get an idea of what type of geometry you are attempting? I am looking closely at 3D printing workflows from FormIt and it would be good to see what users are attempting.

Message 4 of 10
kommune81
in reply to: vollart

Hello!

Thanks for your reply. I havent been able to retrieve the .axm file yet, but I will pursue this tonight.
Attached is a screenshot from Formit on IPad, the "save image" menu icon actually didnt work.

Regards,
Message 5 of 10
kommune81
in reply to: vollart

Hello again, Its really good customer service at Autodesk! And I am exciting being a part of this 3d revolution 🙂 Attached is the .axm-file as requested and some info from Meshmixer (I really dont like that automatic repair and what it does to my architectural shapes...). For your information, since you are interested in the workflow or interface for architecture modelling and 3d prints - I have also corresponded with Nathan Chandler (Fusion360, Inventor and .obj) and Tom Vollaro (Formit and Revit) on connected themes/issues. I could forward some emails to you on this. I am running a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.10.1 and Windows 7 (Parallels). I also have an IPad 2 and an IPhone 4s. Plan on printing these small houses in different metric scales like 1-500, 1-200 and 1-100 on my recently purchased Printrbot Simple Metal Black. Regards, Harald

Message 6 of 10
tvollaro

Harald,

I took at look at your files. I do not think there is a great option to automatically fix the various water-tight errors. However, when I opened the OBJ file in Meshmixer it immediately highlighted the errors in blue. You can then use that as a guide and use the 3D sketching tool in FormIt to fix the errors. See video here

meshmixer.tiff

Tom Vollaro
Experience Design Architect - Autodesk
Tags (3)
Message 7 of 10
kommune81
in reply to: tvollaro

Hello, hello

Thanks for a good reply.

Probably the earliest housemodels are not as accurate as the last ones. Thanks also for the video, I will use this as a help when editing the model.

I believe the model will be watertight soon!

Thanks again! 🙂

Regards,

Harald

Message 8 of 10
vollart

Harald,

Hi! I am glad this helped. Do you mind if I use these images as part of a post on our blog about this topic?

Message 9 of 10
kommune81

Hello,

Good.
And yes, please use the pictures as you wish. I want to help the blog ☺

Regards,

Harald Brynlund-Lima
Plan – Kultur og byutvikling
Tlf: 5133 5647

harald.brynlund-lima@sandnes.kommune.no
Message 10 of 10
eknapp

Harald,

I know you've probably moved on past this problem, but I wanted to let you know that the FormIt development team is currently working on a feature to highlight watertight issues in your models, to allow cleaning them up. Expect to see it in our next release!

-Emerson, FormIt Developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report