Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nested, donut, island polygons...

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
sherrick
1060 Views, 14 Replies

nested, donut, island polygons...

Any suggestions on how to handle a polygon within a polygon. For example, if there is a room with a cubicle in the center of it, how do I p-line the room as to eliminate the cubicle in the center?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: sherrick

I believe the proper way to do this, is to start on the perimeter cut across to the "Island",do its perimeter and cut back on the same boundary line and continue around the main perimeter.
Message 3 of 15
sherrick

I thought it was that simple too, but for some reason it doesn't work. Instead of cutting back on the line, I leave a little gap. Then I convert it to a space with no problems. Then I edit that same polyline on the 'space' layer and make it coincident...then it works. But that is a lot of work when you might have 25 spaces per drawing that have these "islands" in them.

Any other workflows? things to try?

Thank you.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

I was curious if this procedure may have been broken in the upgrade to 7.1, so I tested it and it still works for me. Not sure why you need to leave a gap. I agree...that would be a PITA. Are you using "c" to close the polyline?
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

What software are you guys using?

It seems to me that I recall needing to leave a gap when using ACA2008,
but, that I didn't have to when drawing boundaries in 2007?

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
www.Tech-Tea.com
http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com

Andido wrote:
> I was curious if this procedure may have been broken in the upgrade to 7.1, so I tested it and it still works for me. Not sure why you need to leave a gap. I agree...that would be a PITA. Are you using "c" to close the polyline?
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

FYI-I noticed I didn't state it...I was using ACAD 2008 when I tested it...in case that helps.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

just to clarify my own statement... autocad architecture 2008, but,
autodesk building systems 2007, you never know when the vertical
differences are relevant.

Wanderer wrote:
> What software are you guys using?
>
> It seems to me that I recall needing to leave a gap when using ACA2008,
> but, that I didn't have to when drawing boundaries in 2007?
>
>
>
> Melanie Perry
> ***not all who wander are lost***
> www.Tech-Tea.com
> http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com
>
> Andido wrote:
>> I was curious if this procedure may have been broken in the upgrade to 7.1, so I tested it and it still works for me. Not sure why you need to leave a gap. I agree...that would be a PITA. Are you using "c" to close the polyline?
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

I just ran a test in ACA 2008 with a center island and the cross over for the polyline. Which worked and linked correctly, I then tried the same style with a ‘gap’ or ‘space’ of 5/16” so the lines never overlap and this linked as well.
The main reason not to do this is the same as not creating a full overlap either – you lose square footage (or gain) in my example I was only .125 square feet ‘short’ on the space, but at 20 spaces per floor and 10 floors that will be 25 square feet or ‘a closet amount of space gone missing’.
Message 9 of 15
sherrick

So, I have drawings on which the process that you all have described for plining islands works. That is, when you "double back" on the same line and closed the polyline it is fine. I have others where if you do this and use the Convert to Spaces tool it won't work, but if you use the Space Data tool (just by selecting it and then clicking close w/o changing anything) it does convert it to a space. Not sure why? This isn't too bad right now; I only have to do it for 20 or so spaces on each drawing....but I have 150 drawings!!!!

I use AutoCAD 08 and Map3D 08 and have seen the same results for each.

Also, I have checked and double checked my pline to make sure it is closed and it doesn't overlapp and it seems fine.
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

"but if you use the Space Data tool (just by selecting it and then clicking close w/o changing anything) it does convert it to a space."

Reading this statement makes me think the polyline is not closed or created correctly. If you do a list on the polyline it should be a LWPOLYLINE. I have heard of another users with issues where some pline work and some do not - what it came done to was that some polylines were actually a series of lines connected together to act like a polyline, once this was converted to a polyline the 'Convert to Spaces' function worked.
Message 11 of 15
Ramyahari

Plz let me if u solved u problem of island in polygon if u have the solution in lisp or in autocad vba plz give me or explain how to solve same problem in autocad
This is select object inside a polygon having more steps in its boundary i can get the object from this type of polygons see the attachment for drawing file
Message 12 of 15
smkomisarek

I was able to change the mutiple lines into one LWPOLYLINE with the PEDIT commmand. Then use the Open / Close function. This seems to have closed the polyline and made the Polyline one line with mutiple vertex's rather then mutiple line segments.

smk
Message 13 of 15
jwulf

I had the same problem with link 7.1 in autocad 2008. I will try the list command next time. When I had the problems, I was making sure the polyline was closed when using the pedit command. Can it still be closed and not be a lwpolyline? The only thing that helped me was to leave a slight gap also. Even if the line was not a lwpolyline, how does leaving a small gap change that?
Message 14 of 15
skomisarek

I'm not an Autocad expert - that part of the question may be better on the Autocad board. That said - I do believe a polyline can be closed and not be a LWPOLYLINE. Also for FMDesktop it is not recommend leaving gaps as errors can occur in hatching / reporting, just like when you use the BPOLY command on an open polyline it cannot hatch the space. However in Autocad a three sided polyline can report AREA as Autocad will programmatically close the polyline to get the AREA. So by leaving a gap Autocad may see the polylines AREA and connect to the DB – but reporting errors may occur. Also it should not be relied on but Facility Link will check to see if a polyline is open and may correct it.
Message 15 of 15
jwulf

By leaving a gap, I mean that I don't draw the segment that connects the island to the perimeter of the space directly on top of the segment that connects the perimeter of the space to the island. I've attached a crude and exaggerated illustration. It is a closed polyline, just not completely accurate because we're losing a fraction of a square foot of net area by doing it that way. I know it's not the way it's supposed to work but I didn't have time to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report