cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13
bobbyc42
865 Views, 12 Replies

Importing DWF

Is the procedure for importing a DWF different for Revit Systems 2 than for Revit 9.1?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: bobbyc42

I haven't tried that myself (not quite a revit user yet), but, I really
can't imagine there'd be any difference... I certainly don't remember
any mention of in from the classes I took.

I'm curious if you've tried this and had a problem (in which case I'd
like to know, too... I'm creating spaces in abs and might wonder if they
import differently than those from ADT)?
Or whether you're just feeling this out before you change products?

(there was a document posted 2/16/07 about FMDesktop and Revit Rooms in
a thread titled 'cubicles' that might be interesting)

cheers!

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

bobbyc42 wrote:
> Is the procedure for importing a DWF different for Revit Systems 2 than for Revit 9.1?
Message 3 of 13
bobbyc42

Yes, I have tried to import from Revit System 2 following the same procedures as detailed in DWF Publishing Requirements for Autodesk FMDesktop 7 subtitled Publishing from Autodesk Revit Building 9.1 Following these procedures I can successfully accomplish an import from 9.1 but not from System 2.
Message 4 of 13
mark.evans

Revit Systems 2 is not officially supported for integration with FMDesktop. We haven't tested it, but we should do so when we have some time. I'll make a note to the QA team.

Does your model have rooms defined in it?

Mark Evans
Autodesk

Mark Evans
Senior Product Manager
AEC Division, Simulation Product Line
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
bobbyc42

Yes, all spaces are identified with a unique number
Message 6 of 13
mark.evans

As I understand this, Revit Systems does not have room obects. Therefore, it cannot produce a DWF file that is compatible as a "Space Plan" in FMDesktop. It's DWF files can be imported as "Plan Views" for reference purposes.

Mark Evans

Mark Evans
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
mark.evans

There are two incorrect statements in my prior post. Revit MEP does use the same room object as Revit Architecture, as you would expect. And RME adds engineering parameters that are valuable to a Facility Manager later on. In the future, the FMDesktop applications plan to leverage that information.

The second error is that my limited testing today shows that a DWF file from Revit MEP cannot be imported even as a Plan View in Facility Manager.

We have some work to do here. Fortunately, you've gotten the attention of the Product Managers of both FMDesktop and Revit MEP and this will get fixed at some point. This is an important workflow for both products.

Mark Evans
Product Manager, FM Solutions

Mark Evans
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 13
bobbyc42

Thank you for your clarification of the issues involved. It is such an important concern for us that we have asked for a swap out of our system 2 software for 9.1
Message 9 of 13
jaynesworth

Is there any date available for when Revit Seriies 2 will be able to make FMDesktop compatible DWFs?
Message 10 of 13
KyleB_Autodesk

We have already released the next version of the program, Revit MEP 2008, which unfortunately also contains the same issue. So you are aware, the issue impacts all programs in the Revit 2008 family, and not just Revit MEP 2008.

Most likely this fix would come in an updated build to be released in the future. I can't publicly commit to a date for release of that fix, but know that this is an important item that we will try and resolve as soon as possible.

Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 13
jaynesworth

Point of interest: I pulled up a Revit Systems Plus 2 file in Revit Building 9.1 and exported a DWF. That file imported into FMDesktop without a whimper. I don't know if I'll be able to do that after the 30-day evaluation period, though, or if any important information might not transfer from Systems Plus 2 to Building 9.1.
Message 12 of 13
jaynesworth

There is an easy, no-cost way to get data from Revit Systems Plus 2 to FMDesktop 7.
1. Find a copy of Revit Building 9.1 (not 9.0). If you don't have the distribution disks, download a copy from http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=9262404
I picked Revit Building 9.1 for Autodesk AutoCAD Revit Series—Building 9.1.
2. Install as Standalone Trial or Demo. The Trial give you a fully functional copy for 30 days. After 30 days, it reverts to Demo mode for legal, indefinite use.
3. Both modes allow you to retrieve files saved in Revit Building Systems 2 and print, plot, and export to DWF. Just follow the normal procedure to export DWFs from Building 9.1 to FMDesktop.
Message 13 of 13
bobbyc42

I have now successfully installed Hotfix 2 and that has taken care of the problem of importing 2008 drawings into FM Desktop. I tried the import process yesterday and it worked fine. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report