Did you mean: 

New snap in 3DS Max 2012 Design

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
wwwstarcom
3802 Views, 5 Replies

New snap in 3DS Max 2012 Design

Hello

I'm using 3ds Max 2010 Design, my company is growing and we need one more designer, we had try'd new 3ds Max 2012 Design and have big problem with is. Problem is with new snap !, i just can't understand why you had changed snap that way ? I will try to explain my problem. So we are exhibition company, making design for our clients and building stands. When we making design it is very important to keep system step. I will show you an image so you can see what i'm talking about:

Image 1.jpg

Image 1 pivs.jpg

So how you can see project in created from many many objects, and when i'm making it, one of the way to multiply objects or groups i had used is holding down Shift key and drag an object to its new position. When project is big i need to make many parts of the object, so when i placed object to the new position and opened Clone object dialog, i'm entering number of copy's that i need and i have adequate result.

New lets try to do the same in 3ds max 2012 Design:
When i selecting object, holding down Shift key, trying to move in to its new position i have next problem, the object have automatically snapped with its pivot to the grid !, Why ???, Why it do so ????. Ok, ok trying to cheat this new innovation in world of 3d desing. Selecting object, editing it's pivot so now objects pivot will be on grid. Ha-ha, i think that i am smarter then this new snap. Selecting object, holding down Shift key, moving object to its new position, and vuala ! We made it ! we had cheated new snap and now we can buy new 3ds max 2012 Design, so our new designer will work from next mondey ?. NO ! because there is new problem with this snap, and this problem have no solution. Lets try to make next scene in 3ds 2012:

Image 2c.jpg

How we can see, this scene is made from many boxes, some of it's have some images, but our discussion about modeling.  We have hire box on the bottom it position on Z=0, we have some space between box on the bottom and box on the wall with size (980mm x 980mm). If we will try to make this scene we will have problem with snap objects that is belong to wall. Why ? because we need to keep system stap, and when i try'd to multiply objects on the wall they are snap with it's pivots to the grid ! But all we know that we cheated this innovation yesterday :). So, lets try to do it ! Creating new object, snapping it to the position with 50mm from the bottom, editing pivot, multiplying object, ha-ha, now work will go, let's forget about one new step in our work. Now lets look, how we can snap this objects to next construction part:

Image 3.jpg

Image 4b.jpg

So, our mission - How to snap box to the yellow's object's part like it is shown on this image ? - Solution - When we are creating yellow object, we need to place it's pivot at the position how it is shown on the image. So we after it can use align to snap box Y to the yellow's object's pivot Y. - But how we can multiply yellow object when it's pivot is in this position ? what ? we can't ? No, no, of course we can multiply yellow objects using grid step. We just need to move it's pivot to grid, multiply it (lets make 450 clones) in all scene. Then after it, we will return all yellow objects pivots to it's start position, and when it will #### us up, we will trash 3ds max 2012 Design with its new innovative snap, download some free stupid 3d editing program, and use it.

If 3ds max 2012 have no checkbox or some magic button to turn this innovative snap OFF, i cannot buy it. Ha ! In case that i cannot buy 3ds max 2010 Design my Company even cannot grow !
I love so much all new features in 3ds max 2012, and i need it. But this new one "Snap" is crashing everything !

Let's imagine (we also have this situations in our work), what if we neet to make some part of the scene that will be 70mm righter then other objects in scene, but all parts of the scene must keep system step. So we need to edit every object's pivot to make it 70mm lefter ? Every object ????? And now to make one simple scene i will lose 2 months ? I know what you now thinking about - Why he can't make this part of the scene, group it, and move it to new position ? - Because this is design, because you can't know how all scene will look's at the end, and you cannot make some part of the scene, then move it, after it you must have possibility to edit it, but with new snap, before you can edit this moved part of the scene, you must select every object and edit it's pivot.

I know many people who hate new snap in 2012, i had read many forums and there is many people who trying to find solution. So i think if you don't want to lose all your clients, you will make this magic button, that's will return 3ds max 2010 snap logic. Objects must keep its relative position when you are moving it !

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

No one will know that here.

You'll need to go to:

http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=300

or

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 6
max3d2
in reply to: wwwstarcom

I dont understand why you did not answer this guys question. I am having the same issue with the snaps in 3DSMAX 2012. What I am trying to do is snap an object to another object's vert. Where the verts will line up, ALL the ealier versions of 3DSMAX did this with no problem. Most likely we are both not understanding the way the snaps have changed in 2012. But an Answer to his question would have resulted inme not having to write this.

Message 4 of 6

You don't understand why I didn't answer his question?

Perhaps I should explain then.

I was being as helpful as possible.

If you want answers to a 3ds question, you need to follow my links to the forum where the 3ds people are.

If you had followed my instructions instead of complaining pointlessly, I wouldn't have to write this...;-)

If you have any FM questions, feel free to ask. I will happily answer those questions.

Further, if you have a question, and don't know where to find the best people to answer it, I will help you out in that manner as well.

But, demanding that I answer a 3ds question when I do not use 3ds is something that I don't understand.

Please follow my links above instead of being ungrateful that I took the time to post them in the first place.

Cheers!

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 5 of 6

Sorry I wasnt trying to be ungreatful, and I do thank you for all your contributions. I think it was just one of those days after working for hours getting frustrated with this new snap feature. I was used to it working the old way with no problems. Sometimes I think things get changed that were'nt broken. LOL Also I may have been in the wrong forum area. I did a shotgun websearch for the problem I was having and came to this guy's issue. I figured out the snapping problem I was having. If I remember correctly, You have to click on the area you are going to snap to then reclick the area that you are snapping to then translate the object to your set snap. Which is different than the old snapping system in max. I havent done this again for a few weeks and I may have forgoten the correct steps. I've been in Zbrush for several weeks. This new snapping method I wish we could turn off and on between the old way and the new. Maybe I just have to get used to the new method. Thanks again for your reply and all of your hard work.

Max3d2

Message 6 of 6

Cool.

Thanks for posting back how you had to adjust with this. I'm sure it could be helpful to anyone else who stumbles upon this post in a web search.

Cheers!

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report