Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Facilities

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
treverleamon
896 Views, 1 Reply

Managing Facilities

Currently I am in the process of drafting out the existing structures at Kentucky Christian University. My goal, as of now, is to simply have all of the structures "as is" at this point. Beyond just having the floor plan, I am also showing some of the "guts", if you will...electrical, plumbing, hvac, and equipment. I am comfortable keeping my drawings in 2D form, and as simple as possible. My question comes from my experience working with Land Desktop for a oil & gas engineering firm. There I attached object data to pipelines, lease line, and mining areas. Also, I have a friend that told me that a guy "mapped" out a floor plan of a library in Arcview, where he attached "object data" to specific locations on shelves. By doing this students could search for a book by author, title, etc. and on the "map" of the building, it would highlight that book's location.
Question: How realistic is it for me to create a "viewer friendly" drawing for staff members of the maintenance department to use?
I am dreaming something like, when a work order is called in the office manager can, by keywords, submit the problem in AutoCAD. When this happens, the "networked" facility map will blink or highlight a building signaling a work order or problem in that building. The maintenance worker then can click on that building and a description of the problem, inputted by the office manager, comes up. Generally this would do, but I would like it to maybe get as detailed as the office manager attaching data to a light symbol, for a room, or a electrical outlet, even a toilet. That way when the maintenance worker clicks on the building it not only gives a description, but also shows where the problem is exactly. I have no clue if I am over my head or if this is even possible. Note that I only use AutoCAD, and would like to keep it that way. I am not opposed to using other programs if that is what it takes, but if all possible, would like to stay with Autodesk certified products. I have Architectural Desktop 3.3 and Land Desktop 3.
Thanks,
Trever Leamon
Kentucky Christian University
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: treverleamon

If you are determined to have ONLY autodesk products, try MAP/MAP Guide... Autodesk - Autodesk MapGuide - Sample Applications http://mobile.autodesk.com/fm2002/ http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=3016779 if you rethink getting an add-on from another company, check out this thread... http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=356041 check out the third post in that thread... has a list of available programs... also an older thread in this group http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=258984 people are telling a little about what they're using... might get a little more detailed feedback from that thread... not much though, lots of research ahead for you. good luck. ;) "treverleamon" wrote in message news:11322377.1100530560921.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Currently I am in the process of drafting out the existing structures at > Kentucky Christian University. My goal, as of now, is to simply have all > of the structures "as is" at this point. Beyond just having the floor > plan, I am also showing some of the "guts", if you will...electrical, > plumbing, hvac, and equipment. I am comfortable keeping my drawings in 2D > form, and as simple as possible. My question comes from my experience > working with Land Desktop for a oil & gas engineering firm. There I > attached object data to pipelines, lease line, and mining areas. Also, I > have a friend that told me that a guy "mapped" out a floor plan of a > library in Arcview, where he attached "object data" to specific locations > on shelves. By doing this students could search for a book by author, > title, etc. and on the "map" of the building, it would highlight that > book's location. > Question: How realistic is it for me to create a "viewer friendly" drawing > for staff members of the maintenance department to use? > I am dreaming something like, when a work order is called in the office > manager can, by keywords, submit the problem in AutoCAD. When this > happens, the "networked" facility map will blink or highlight a building > signaling a work order or problem in that building. The maintenance worker > then can click on that building and a description of the problem, inputted > by the office manager, comes up. Generally this would do, but I would like > it to maybe get as detailed as the office manager attaching data to a > light symbol, for a room, or a electrical outlet, even a toilet. That way > when the maintenance worker clicks on the building it not only gives a > description, but also shows where the problem is exactly. I have no clue > if I am over my head or if this is even possible. Note that I only use > AutoCAD, and would like to keep it that way. I am not opposed to using > other programs if that is what it takes, but if all possible, would like > to stay with Autodesk certified products. I have Architectural Desktop 3.3 > and Land Desktop 3. > Thanks, > Trever Leamon > Kentucky Christian University

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report