FM

*melanie stone
Message 1 of 15 (132 Views)

FM Classes at AU

132 Views, 14 Replies
07-27-2004 01:09 PM
Okay, I know we're not very talkative in here, but, we need to get some more FM people to Autodesk University, so we can demand more and better FM classes!!! FM people are islands unto themselves and this is our one chance to get together and share our experiences and solutions. This is my impassioned plea!!! Please, come to AU with me so I can actually learn something specific to my industry, and maybe next year we'll actually get a class in the longest timeslot (25 classes to choose from for the 3 1/2 hour timeslot, and not 1 is FM, you need to make yourself heard!!!)! Thank you... -- Sr. CADD Technician GAUG Newsletter Editor www.GatewayAUG.com AUGI Survey Manager www.AUGI.com
*John W. Janzen
Message 2 of 15 (132 Views)

Re: FM Classes at AU

09-09-2004 06:27 AM in reply to: *melanie stone
Hey there Melanie, Didn't want to let you be the only one posting here! The biggest problem we (faciliCAD) are having in creating classes for AU is that we are trying to stay true to the theme of AU...we don't want to be out in front of a group of professionals and give them a 90 minute demo. we have, for the lst 2 years, been submitting classes for AU and we take great care in trying to deliver a semi-generic educational method without blowing our horn (too much, at least). We will be there this year again with 2 classes, and we are hoping that these classes will be of interest. We would be thrilled to take any suggestions for classes for next years AU. Pay us a visit at our booth on the exebition floor and we would be happy to hear any suggestions you maye have. regards, -- John W. Janzen jwjanzen@cadmin.com jjanzen@faciliCAD.com Autodesk Authorized Consultant Autodesk Registered Developer "melanie stone" wrote in message news:4106b665_1@newsprd01... > Okay, I know we're not very talkative in here, but, we need to get some more > FM people to Autodesk University, so we can demand more and better FM > classes!!! > FM people are islands unto themselves and this is our one chance to get > together and share our experiences and solutions. > > This is my impassioned plea!!! Please, come to AU with me so I can actually > learn something specific to my industry, and maybe next year we'll actually > get a class in the longest timeslot (25 classes to choose from for the 3 1/2 > hour timeslot, and not 1 is FM, you need to make yourself heard!!!)! > > Thank you... > > -- > Sr. CADD Technician > > GAUG Newsletter Editor > www.GatewayAUG.com > > AUGI Survey Manager > www.AUGI.com > > >
*melanie stone
Message 3 of 15 (132 Views)

09-09-2004 06:39 AM in reply to: *melanie stone
John, I believe that I spoke with you last year? I learned more in the 1/2 hour I spent at your booth than I did in any of my classes (at least FM specific). What I would like to see class-wise, would, ideally be, a line item type walk-through of how to set up a facilities management program. Most of us don't know anyone who has actually done this. Something like: create cad standards track down every cad file you can conduct a survey determine which fm program will work for your needs your services your customers your budget your IT status what programs/add-ons are available Creating and ROI for non-facilities budget guys implementation installing software training users surveying vectorizing archives you know, something that tells us how to do our jobs. obviously, every situation will be different, but, just some basic guidelines would be invaluable... When I upgraded this year, I bought MAP, but, I have absolutely NO CLUE what to do with it, and I'm not all that sure that the classes I'm taking will help me. I would like to know, what is the best way to enter room usage/ownership data? how do I pline a space and get the square footage to show up in my database along with the room usage data? how can I link that table in the database with another table which shows major equipment in that room? and... how do I link that equipment with parts and maint information???????? This could, honestly, take an entire week to go through... we're talking procedures 75% and software 25%, IMHO. "John W. Janzen" wrote in message news:41405a3a$1_1@newsprd01... > Hey there Melanie, > > Didn't want to let you be the only one posting here! > > The biggest problem we (faciliCAD) are having in creating classes for AU > is > that we are trying to stay true to the theme of AU...we don't want to be > out > in front of a group of professionals and give them a 90 minute demo. we > have, for the lst 2 years, been submitting classes for AU and we take > great > care in trying to deliver a semi-generic educational method without > blowing > our horn (too much, at least). > > We will be there this year again with 2 classes, and we are hoping that > these classes will be of interest. We would be thrilled to take any > suggestions for classes for next years AU. Pay us a visit at our booth on > the exebition floor and we would be happy to hear any suggestions you maye > have. > > regards, > -- > John W. Janzen > jwjanzen@cadmin.com > jjanzen@faciliCAD.com > > Autodesk Authorized Consultant > Autodesk Registered Developer > > > "melanie stone" wrote in message > news:4106b665_1@newsprd01... >> Okay, I know we're not very talkative in here, but, we need to get some > more >> FM people to Autodesk University, so we can demand more and better FM >> classes!!! >> FM people are islands unto themselves and this is our one chance to get >> together and share our experiences and solutions. >> >> This is my impassioned plea!!! Please, come to AU with me so I can > actually >> learn something specific to my industry, and maybe next year we'll > actually >> get a class in the longest timeslot (25 classes to choose from for the 3 > 1/2 >> hour timeslot, and not 1 is FM, you need to make yourself heard!!!)! >> >> Thank you... >> >> -- >> Sr. CADD Technician >> >> GAUG Newsletter Editor >> www.GatewayAUG.com >> >> AUGI Survey Manager >> www.AUGI.com >> >> >> > >
CadCafm
Message 4 of 15 (132 Views)

10-15-2004 06:44 AM in reply to: *melanie stone
Hi Melanie,
Sounds like you need ArchibusFM.

Tony
*melanie stone
Message 5 of 15 (132 Views)

10-15-2004 11:35 AM in reply to: *melanie stone
that's a no-go. What I need is to find people like myself that I can share experiences with, and educational instructors who can tell me how to go about doing my job without trying to sell me software my administration won't buy. "CadCafm" wrote in message news:2381916.1097847897903.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi Melanie, > Sounds like you need ArchibusFM. > > Tony
CadCafm
Message 6 of 15 (132 Views)

10-15-2004 09:02 PM in reply to: *melanie stone
Money has already been spend on your software upgrades. Money is being spent for you to go to AU. You know you aren't going to learn at AU what you need to. I'm not aware that Autodesk makes true FM software. The only FM software I've used is ArchibusFM. It integrates within AutoCAD. (Any flavor I think.) I'm sorry if my opinion is slanted toward A/FM. Their are a number of strong FM packages like ArchibusFM, but Archibus is the AutoDesk of FM software. I also know that Archibus has annual user conferences similar to AU. Perhaps you should look into attending that rather than AU. Something to think about.
*melanie stone
Message 7 of 15 (132 Views)

10-18-2004 09:11 AM in reply to: *melanie stone
I know what archibus can and can't do. I also know how much money administration is willing to pay. THAT is the issue, not what software I am using. The software won't do me any good without information to put into the system. Soooo, what I need to do is find people who are forced to work with what they have, and find out their tips and tricks for any type of productivity gains. So, you are right that I won't learn everything I need to know at AU, but, as long as we have a training budget, I might as well keep up to date on my autocad know-how. "CadCafm" wrote in message news:18413163.1097899408626.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Money has already been spend on your software upgrades. Money is being > spent for you to go to AU. You know you aren't going to learn at AU what > you need to. I'm not aware that Autodesk makes true FM software. The > only FM software I've used is ArchibusFM. It integrates within AutoCAD. > (Any flavor I think.) I'm sorry if my opinion is slanted toward A/FM. > Their are a number of strong FM packages like ArchibusFM, but Archibus is > the AutoDesk of FM software. I also know that Archibus has annual user > conferences similar to AU. Perhaps you should look into attending that > rather than AU. Something to think about.
CadCafm
Message 8 of 15 (132 Views)

10-19-2004 06:11 AM in reply to: *melanie stone
No doubt.

I've seen hints that Map and Map Guide can be used in FM, but really any more so than vanilla acad or ADT? I woulnd't be surprised to see Autodesk come out with something to actually compete with Archibus. Or, maybe thay just need to have a stronger partnership.
*melanie stone
Message 9 of 15 (132 Views)

10-19-2004 07:20 AM in reply to: *melanie stone
The thing with MAP being more adept for my uses than just vanilla acad is that you can query within the program. Like say, just highlight the rooms that belong to a certain dept. or something. http://mobile.autodesk.com/fm2002/ That's all I kept hearing from vendors at AU last year. Well, I also heard revit would be nice for FM, but, not for something as large as what I have here. you might be able to cook up something similar using acad and dbconnect, but, that's just a headache all the way around. It wouldn't suprise me if they did, and it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't. Is there a big enough market share? I would expect them to perhaps make things easier and partner with another company. Probably someone who is based off of map products already. "CadCafm" wrote in message news:873999.1098191525790.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > No doubt. > > I've seen hints that Map and Map Guide can be used in FM, but really any > more so than vanilla acad or ADT? I woulnd't be surprised to see Autodesk > come out with something to actually compete with Archibus. Or, maybe thay > just need to have a stronger partnership.
Distinguished Contributor
BHashman
Message 10 of 15 (132 Views)

11-03-2004 10:09 PM in reply to: *melanie stone
Just wish to chime in and follow the thread. Mike Evans contacted me recently and I want to get a better grip on FM because I have already sold it and it needs to be more than smoke and mirrors.

See you at AU. Is there a place to meet?
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.