Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM Classes at AU

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
456 Views, 14 Replies

FM Classes at AU

Okay, I know we're not very talkative in here, but, we need to get some more FM people to Autodesk University, so we can demand more and better FM classes!!! FM people are islands unto themselves and this is our one chance to get together and share our experiences and solutions. This is my impassioned plea!!! Please, come to AU with me so I can actually learn something specific to my industry, and maybe next year we'll actually get a class in the longest timeslot (25 classes to choose from for the 3 1/2 hour timeslot, and not 1 is FM, you need to make yourself heard!!!)! Thank you... -- Sr. CADD Technician GAUG Newsletter Editor www.GatewayAUG.com AUGI Survey Manager www.AUGI.com
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey there Melanie, Didn't want to let you be the only one posting here! The biggest problem we (faciliCAD) are having in creating classes for AU is that we are trying to stay true to the theme of AU...we don't want to be out in front of a group of professionals and give them a 90 minute demo. we have, for the lst 2 years, been submitting classes for AU and we take great care in trying to deliver a semi-generic educational method without blowing our horn (too much, at least). We will be there this year again with 2 classes, and we are hoping that these classes will be of interest. We would be thrilled to take any suggestions for classes for next years AU. Pay us a visit at our booth on the exebition floor and we would be happy to hear any suggestions you maye have. regards, -- John W. Janzen jwjanzen@cadmin.com jjanzen@faciliCAD.com Autodesk Authorized Consultant Autodesk Registered Developer "melanie stone" wrote in message news:4106b665_1@newsprd01... > Okay, I know we're not very talkative in here, but, we need to get some more > FM people to Autodesk University, so we can demand more and better FM > classes!!! > FM people are islands unto themselves and this is our one chance to get > together and share our experiences and solutions. > > This is my impassioned plea!!! Please, come to AU with me so I can actually > learn something specific to my industry, and maybe next year we'll actually > get a class in the longest timeslot (25 classes to choose from for the 3 1/2 > hour timeslot, and not 1 is FM, you need to make yourself heard!!!)! > > Thank you... > > -- > Sr. CADD Technician > > GAUG Newsletter Editor > www.GatewayAUG.com > > AUGI Survey Manager > www.AUGI.com > > >
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

John, I believe that I spoke with you last year? I learned more in the 1/2 hour I spent at your booth than I did in any of my classes (at least FM specific). What I would like to see class-wise, would, ideally be, a line item type walk-through of how to set up a facilities management program. Most of us don't know anyone who has actually done this. Something like: create cad standards track down every cad file you can conduct a survey determine which fm program will work for your needs your services your customers your budget your IT status what programs/add-ons are available Creating and ROI for non-facilities budget guys implementation installing software training users surveying vectorizing archives you know, something that tells us how to do our jobs. obviously, every situation will be different, but, just some basic guidelines would be invaluable... When I upgraded this year, I bought MAP, but, I have absolutely NO CLUE what to do with it, and I'm not all that sure that the classes I'm taking will help me. I would like to know, what is the best way to enter room usage/ownership data? how do I pline a space and get the square footage to show up in my database along with the room usage data? how can I link that table in the database with another table which shows major equipment in that room? and... how do I link that equipment with parts and maint information???????? This could, honestly, take an entire week to go through... we're talking procedures 75% and software 25%, IMHO. "John W. Janzen" wrote in message news:41405a3a$1_1@newsprd01... > Hey there Melanie, > > Didn't want to let you be the only one posting here! > > The biggest problem we (faciliCAD) are having in creating classes for AU > is > that we are trying to stay true to the theme of AU...we don't want to be > out > in front of a group of professionals and give them a 90 minute demo. we > have, for the lst 2 years, been submitting classes for AU and we take > great > care in trying to deliver a semi-generic educational method without > blowing > our horn (too much, at least). > > We will be there this year again with 2 classes, and we are hoping that > these classes will be of interest. We would be thrilled to take any > suggestions for classes for next years AU. Pay us a visit at our booth on > the exebition floor and we would be happy to hear any suggestions you maye > have. > > regards, > -- > John W. Janzen > jwjanzen@cadmin.com > jjanzen@faciliCAD.com > > Autodesk Authorized Consultant > Autodesk Registered Developer > > > "melanie stone" wrote in message > news:4106b665_1@newsprd01... >> Okay, I know we're not very talkative in here, but, we need to get some > more >> FM people to Autodesk University, so we can demand more and better FM >> classes!!! >> FM people are islands unto themselves and this is our one chance to get >> together and share our experiences and solutions. >> >> This is my impassioned plea!!! Please, come to AU with me so I can > actually >> learn something specific to my industry, and maybe next year we'll > actually >> get a class in the longest timeslot (25 classes to choose from for the 3 > 1/2 >> hour timeslot, and not 1 is FM, you need to make yourself heard!!!)! >> >> Thank you... >> >> -- >> Sr. CADD Technician >> >> GAUG Newsletter Editor >> www.GatewayAUG.com >> >> AUGI Survey Manager >> www.AUGI.com >> >> >> > >
Message 4 of 15
CadCafm

Hi Melanie,
Sounds like you need ArchibusFM.

Tony
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

that's a no-go. What I need is to find people like myself that I can share experiences with, and educational instructors who can tell me how to go about doing my job without trying to sell me software my administration won't buy. "CadCafm" wrote in message news:2381916.1097847897903.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi Melanie, > Sounds like you need ArchibusFM. > > Tony
Message 6 of 15
CadCafm

Money has already been spend on your software upgrades. Money is being spent for you to go to AU. You know you aren't going to learn at AU what you need to. I'm not aware that Autodesk makes true FM software. The only FM software I've used is ArchibusFM. It integrates within AutoCAD. (Any flavor I think.) I'm sorry if my opinion is slanted toward A/FM. Their are a number of strong FM packages like ArchibusFM, but Archibus is the AutoDesk of FM software. I also know that Archibus has annual user conferences similar to AU. Perhaps you should look into attending that rather than AU. Something to think about.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I know what archibus can and can't do. I also know how much money administration is willing to pay. THAT is the issue, not what software I am using. The software won't do me any good without information to put into the system. Soooo, what I need to do is find people who are forced to work with what they have, and find out their tips and tricks for any type of productivity gains. So, you are right that I won't learn everything I need to know at AU, but, as long as we have a training budget, I might as well keep up to date on my autocad know-how. "CadCafm" wrote in message news:18413163.1097899408626.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Money has already been spend on your software upgrades. Money is being > spent for you to go to AU. You know you aren't going to learn at AU what > you need to. I'm not aware that Autodesk makes true FM software. The > only FM software I've used is ArchibusFM. It integrates within AutoCAD. > (Any flavor I think.) I'm sorry if my opinion is slanted toward A/FM. > Their are a number of strong FM packages like ArchibusFM, but Archibus is > the AutoDesk of FM software. I also know that Archibus has annual user > conferences similar to AU. Perhaps you should look into attending that > rather than AU. Something to think about.
Message 8 of 15
CadCafm

No doubt.

I've seen hints that Map and Map Guide can be used in FM, but really any more so than vanilla acad or ADT? I woulnd't be surprised to see Autodesk come out with something to actually compete with Archibus. Or, maybe thay just need to have a stronger partnership.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

The thing with MAP being more adept for my uses than just vanilla acad is that you can query within the program. Like say, just highlight the rooms that belong to a certain dept. or something. http://mobile.autodesk.com/fm2002/ That's all I kept hearing from vendors at AU last year. Well, I also heard revit would be nice for FM, but, not for something as large as what I have here. you might be able to cook up something similar using acad and dbconnect, but, that's just a headache all the way around. It wouldn't suprise me if they did, and it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't. Is there a big enough market share? I would expect them to perhaps make things easier and partner with another company. Probably someone who is based off of map products already. "CadCafm" wrote in message news:873999.1098191525790.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > No doubt. > > I've seen hints that Map and Map Guide can be used in FM, but really any > more so than vanilla acad or ADT? I woulnd't be surprised to see Autodesk > come out with something to actually compete with Archibus. Or, maybe thay > just need to have a stronger partnership.
Message 10 of 15
BHashman

Just wish to chime in and follow the thread. Mike Evans contacted me recently and I want to get a better grip on FM because I have already sold it and it needs to be more than smoke and mirrors.

See you at AU. Is there a place to meet?
Message 11 of 15
Mistress0fTheDorkness

industry sessions. I think there's the birds of a feather lunch as well as an evening thing for FM'ers.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 12 of 15
Mistress0fTheDorkness

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=370073
here's a schedule for FM specific classes/meetings...

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Okay, I take it back. I couldn't find an fm-geared class during the longest timeslot, so I took a VBA lab (baby steps). It was awesome! The teacher was great (I think his name was Jerry Winter), and it finally made a little more sense to me! This class will probably help me more than any other class that I took last week, and that is saying a lot. I did walk out of one FM class because it was falsley advertised as being for map, but, it dealt with another program, too, one that I don't have, so I left and toured the exhibit hall. great time, met some great people, as usual, some were even FMers! WOOT! hopefully see lots more of you at au next year in sunny orlando... "melanie stone" wrote in message news:4106b665_1@newsprd01... > Okay, I know we're not very talkative in here, but, we need to get some > more > FM people to Autodesk University, so we can demand more and better FM > classes!!! > FM people are islands unto themselves and this is our one chance to get > together and share our experiences and solutions. > > This is my impassioned plea!!! Please, come to AU with me so I can > actually > learn something specific to my industry, and maybe next year we'll > actually > get a class in the longest timeslot (25 classes to choose from for the 3 > 1/2 > hour timeslot, and not 1 is FM, you need to make yourself heard!!!)! > > Thank you... > > -- > Sr. CADD Technician > > GAUG Newsletter Editor > www.GatewayAUG.com > > AUGI Survey Manager > www.AUGI.com > > >
Message 14 of 15
mark.evans

Melanie,
That is a great outline for a few classes!
I had a discussion this week with some of my colleagues and they're definitely on board with putting together a much more robust FM track for AU next year.

I wish you could have attended the MapGuide FM class. It would have given you some tools to answer some of your questions.

Keep pushing!
Mark

Mark Evans
Senior Product Manager
AEC Division, Simulation Product Line
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

~bows~ thank you, just telling you what I'd like to know myself. I have been happy that every year there's just a little bit more for us there, and seems to be more FM attendees judging by our lunch tables. mapguide fm? yeah, probably missed that one. I don't have mapguide. I was trying to focus on things like programming, annotation and querying in MAP and general mgmt issues with the programs that I already own, rather than learning how to use those that I don't. Of course, there is power in the software, but, in a field like mine, procedure is often the only thing we have control over, and I'd like to see more of a focus on that, with different options available for some steps (ie db connectivity in vanilla, or object data in map, etc.) I will continue to push. 😉 And, if you ever need someone's opinion, just drop me a line, cause I always have one! thanks, melanie "Mark Evans" wrote in message news:19136959.1103755809351.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Melanie, > That is a great outline for a few classes! > I had a discussion this week with some of my colleagues and they're > definitely on board with putting together a much more robust FM track for > AU next year. > > I wish you could have attended the MapGuide FM class. It would have given > you some tools to answer some of your questions. > > Keep pushing! > Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums