Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

describe your group

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Mistress0fTheDorkness
476 Views, 7 Replies

describe your group

I work in FM, with a 6mil sq ft facility. I am the only CAD person.
I would like to know how others are doing it out there.
How big is your facility?
How many plans people do you have?
What FM program, if any, are you using?
What types of things do you track in your FM program?

Any response from FM people would be appreciated! I am writing a justification to ask for more employees. I am estimating that I will need 3 FT and 1 PT, but, I'd like to know what others are working with to back that up.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Well, I have posted this survey on about 5 different forums.
I finally got a reply at CADalyst in the CAD managers forum. Surely there are more FM people out there... why won't you talk to me?!?!

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Mistress0fTheDorkness

It seems this discussion group is more of a ghost town these days...what is it you'd like to know? "wanderer" wrote in message news:19072079.1083163523029.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > Well, I have posted this survey on about 5 different forums. > I finally got a reply at CADalyst in the CAD managers forum. Surely there are more FM people out there... why won't you talk to me?!?!
Message 4 of 8

I just want to know how many CAD techs are working at facilities (large or small).
I work in a hospital complex, but, I want answers from any facility, university, business complex, primary/secondary schools, anybody with enough square footage to need CAD documentation.

I wouldn't mind, if someone is willing to provide it, knowing the specific tasks each CAD tech does, or the services the CAD dept provides (space reports, maps, mepfp plans, etc.)

Melanie Stone
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

well- The company I am employed with has moved from CAD to GIS/FM. We've created a CAFM system for a large school district using AutoCAD, Map 5, and Mapguide 6.0 (just about to upgrade!). As far as tasks go, we created closed polylines to represent each space in a facility. Through custom programming, we extracted all the square footages into a database table and then pulled a unique number from the DB back into each space in the drawing. Based on this, we made topologies and extracted them into Mapguide Author. In Author, we setup these topologies as new layers, some of them thematic and selectable. We linked custom reports to the selectable ones so that when the end user picks on a room, he/she can get a report on room usage, square footage, floor material, etc. Reading the update manual for Mapguide 6.5, I realize that this process can be simplified even further, since you can now pull the polylines from the drawing directly. It's not a difficult task once you've gotten the hang of it. If you use Map and Mapguide, my advice would be to keep the maps (MWF files) as simple as possible. Set up your key to reflect only the information the end user is interested in seeing. Everything else can be brought in as background. This will help you avoid unnecessary time spent extracting information, making maps, and dealing with set up. You will also need to build or have a third party create a custom interface for you, a web-based navigation tool that will allow you to view your maps or floor plans and access the reports. There is a guide for this which comes with Mapguide, but it is basic. If you look at the Autodesk website and go to the Mapguide section, they have example applications. You will need the free Mapguide viewer to see them. If you create your own interface, select an experienced programmer, someone who knows Autodesk products and databases really well. They will be a necessity. Hope this helps. "wanderer" wrote in message news:13777624.1083257612381.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I just want to know how many CAD techs are working at facilities (large or small). > I work in a hospital complex, but, I want answers from any facility, university, business complex, primary/secondary schools, anybody with enough square footage to need CAD documentation. > > I wouldn't mind, if someone is willing to provide it, knowing the specific tasks each CAD tech does, or the services the CAD dept provides (space reports, maps, mepfp plans, etc.)
Message 6 of 8

Thanks so much for your reply.
I just bought MAP, I have never actually used it before, but, at AU, I kept hearing that it would help me do this type of stuff (I hope to install the newest version this week).

Can you tell me how many people/what time frame it took to do this process, also, how often you revisit to update? Also, can you give me a rough square footage of the site?

Melanie Stone
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Reposting another answer I rec'd at FM forum (their forum is even harder to search than this one, but, some good topics in there) Re: Wanting to know how others are managing their assets (staffing, technology, etc.), by Warren Bailey, WarrenBailey Associates, USA, [2004-06-22] Have been doing fm consulting for many years (250 million sq ft of completed fm technology projects). Can give you a little insight on some of your questions: 1. Rule of thumb is 1 CAD/CAFM (computer aided facility mgmt) person per 2 million sq. ft. of space once system is up and running. 2. Field verification is #1 problem.., many options but most companies simply "walk the floor" to "true-up" the space on regular basis, usually monthly. Also can use admin people in depts to assist as they usually know who sits where, etc. Have tried many hi-tech methods, but nothing full proof. It becomes a game to fool the computer and some people just lie in order to conserve space. 3. Instituting a "charge back" system helps tremendously in accounting for and tracking space. Once departments are having to pay for their space, they become more eager to accurately account for what they have and don't have. Your finance dept will like this as well and make you their friend. 4. Construction is more often handled outside of your main CAFM System until such time as there is a real "move project" ready to proceed. This, however, is the next dimension of technology use., to fully integrate these projects from their inception and planning. 5. Most FM Systems track Occupancy for starters (butts in seats). This is the basics for any CAFM System. Once you have that setup everything else integrates with that. 6. Getting accurate info of employees is a hurdle. But most good CAFM Systems can now integrate seamlessly with other departments such as IT and HR. MAP of course won't do this as you will have to still buy a real CAFM System. More on that later. 7. Most FM Systems track where assets (people, furniture, equipment, files, lights, etc.) are located (rooms, floors, buildings, sites) and are organized by departments. This is the fundamentals of any FM System. 8. Ultimately you want an FM System that will accurately and immediately track assets by location and department assignments. Then you can conduct move mgmt and work orders (call center/help desk etc.), as well as work with furn/move companies; real estate; fleet mgmt; etc. Don't bite off a lot in the beginning. Just get "good data" into your system.., generate some reports and print some pretty drawings quickly to show your new capabilities. 9. TALK to IT, HR, and Finance about what info they need and could use. Get them on your side.., and ultimately depending on your data. This makes you invaluable to your company. 10. Buy a real CAFM Software application. MAP is ok for producing some pretty maps but is ony a small part of a real system. You need to track data that is seamlessly linked to AutoCAD drawings. Many great software apps out there. ARCHIBUS is my favorite and it works well with MAP, especially in the new web version. But just pick one and commit to learning it. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.., too many people (hundreds of thousands today) across the world who have spent many years in the FM industry that you can draw upon from their experience. This gets you going much more quickly. GOOD LUCK and have some fun! Re: Re: Wanting to know how others are managing their assets (staffing, technology, etc.), by melanie s, bjh engineering, usa, [2004-08-16] Warren, thank you SO MUCH for your reply. I appreciate hearing from someone experienced in this type of thing. My main goal was to start out just managing facility assets. We are an old company with a long history, and I know that I would be shooting at the moon if I tried to get all of the other departments to report to us (to the medical staff, we're just here to unclog their toilets). I want to keep up to date floor plans and MEPFP plans, and manage OUR asset data, such as air handling units, and electrical panels, etc. Not really staff, and individual departments' property. Due to the size of this place, and the number of employees (FT, PT, Contract, Consulting, Students, etc) that would be too much for anyone to undertake, and they would probably not want to report all of their assets. We actually purchased archibus a few years ago, but, didn't get much into it, and the hospital was much smaller then. We took another look at it last year, but, when I told them what was and wasn't included in our bids and the number of seats of software we'd have to have, and the number of addtn'l employees we'd need to keep our info up to date... it got dropped like a hot potato. I made my staffing/software recommendation over two months ago now, based solely on my opinions and workflow, asking for 4 additional cad people and one part time file clerk. It wasn't laughed at, because I was able to justify it all, but, noone wants to add full-time employees, especially skilled ones like I would need. Thanks again for your input! I look forward to hearing anything on this particular topic. "wanderer" wrote in message news:8368684.1080571649398.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I work in FM, with a 6mil sq ft facility. I am the only CAD person. > I would like to know how others are doing it out there. > How big is your facility? > How many plans people do you have? > What FM program, if any, are you using? > What types of things do you track in your FM program? > > Any response from FM people would be appreciated! I am writing a > justification to ask for more employees. I am estimating that I will need > 3 FT and 1 PT, but, I'd like to know what others are working with to back > that up.
Message 8 of 8

Hi
I can assist you with all Architectural Drafting and Polylining. stuff. Please contact me via email if you wish to see samples of my works.

nitin@thenextdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report