cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add ability to simulate water flow

Add ability to simulate water flow

Flow Design allows for an intuitive airflow simulation. It would be great if it could also simulate surface water flow in and around objects.

I can definitely see this being applied to river analysis.

7 Comments
michaelLJN7P
Explorer

I design fountains, and this would be a great addition to my capabilities.

ryan.arnaudin
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thanks for the feedback. As you are aware Flow Design is limited to external air flow simulations. Autodesk CFD has full fluid simulation capabilities including water flow, free surface flow, and internal flow. 

I'd be interested if folks commenting could add specifics of what types of questions they want to answer through water flow simulation -- e.g. types of applications, types of visuals required, quantitative data required, validation vs. design comparison, etc.

tenmaryjan
Contributor

Thanks for showing interest in this idea. For my part, I'd like to see a simple to use simulation engine, which can do the following:

1. Show me where the water flows aka rain simulation. Like this plugin for Grasshopper does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVcGRC38ttM

2. Give me information on how the water flows aka river flow simulation. Here I'd need cross sectional and volumetric representations of velocity, sheer stress and pressure values.

An ideal scenario for the latter would be: model a river corridor in Civil 3D/Infraworks. One-click export it to Flow Design. Auto-assign Manning roughness values based on material and/or shape layer information. Import a discharge histogram for the river. Run the simulation and get real-time feedback on how the flow behaves and where further attention is needed.

Hope this helps.

ryan.arnaudin
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

I am marking this as a future consideration. 

While different fluids could possibly be added to the existing environment in the future based on ongoing feedback, capturing surface & other physical effects not currently available would require different solver technologies. I would say the request is more fitting for the Autodesk CFD product than Flow Design, and that product can potentially already solve some of the problems described while providing the more detailed result types you have mentioned. 

As always, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. I'd encourage you to hop over to the Autodesk CFD forums to learn more.

petermtaylor
Enthusiast

I'm working on a Solar Power Boat for a school project, and would love to model (roughly, but a Coefficient of Drag would be great!) fluid flow for a boat, and submerged propeller pods. Flow Design seems close to this goal, but only seems to model compressible air, which i'm sure is pretty different to incompressible water flow. 

Just another upvote and "Bump" for this topic. If there were simply inputs for Kinematic Viscosity, density, and whatnot, that might be enough.

cgoldswain5B2MJ
Community Visitor

I would like to see where water may end up not flowing when looking at concrete roof slabs. i.e. When the falls of the slab need to be altered to get rid of standing water.

andrewmasal998
Community Visitor

By incorporating surface water flow simulation capabilities, Flow Design could provide insights into how water interacts with various objects, such as rocks, vegetation, or man-made structures, within a river or water system. This would enable researchers, engineers, and environmental experts to better understand and predict the behavior of water flow, identify potential hazards or obstructions, and optimize designs for efficient and sustainable river management.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report