Flow Design Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flow Design Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flow Design topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turbulence and flow design

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
allger
572 Views, 2 Replies

turbulence and flow design

Hello everyone!!

Would it be correct to multiply the drag force by a turblence factor that depends on the height of the building(simplified method ) or such effects have already been calculated by flow design

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hartogj
in reply to: allger

The Flow Design solver uses an LES turbulence model to account for turbulence within the wind tunnel. However, in building models with very tall domains you can account for large scale wind shear where wind velocity varies greatly with height with a  velocity profile. This is available in the Flow Design for Revit app. There are many different kinds of velocity profiles used in different applications and different regions. Some simple ones are available here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_engineering 

Jon

Jon den Hartog

Product Manager
Message 3 of 3
allger
in reply to: hartogj

Hello hartogj!

Thanks for your immediate response. It is a fact that i am not very familiar with flow dynamics but there is a building i am trying to model and see how it responds to wind loads. If we know the material roughness of the cladding and the air flow velocity and air density can i get the results from FLOW DESIGN? I am sking that because i compared the results of Flow Design with the eurocode suggested values for simple buildings and they are not the same.  (there is a deflection that i cannot ignore). So i was wondering if flow design assumes certain values for the parameters that i mentioned and where can i find them ? Do you think that with a program such as cimulation cfd the user can set the air density etc that he wants?  because i am not sure if i have enough time to learn how to use cimulation cfd before the project deadline. I would also like to note that 1)i am not using Revit , 2)i exported my autocad model to an .iges file that i used in the standalone version of flow  design and 3) the model of the building with the wind load results (drag force) will be analysed with another program.

I would really appreciate it if  you had any idea.

Excuse me for the not very good use of english! 

Thanks again for your response

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report