Flow Design Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flow Design Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flow Design topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File size?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ed.stubbs
999 Views, 4 Replies

File size?

Hello,

Just installed, and excited to start using Flow.

I'm having problems importing geometry - is there a suggested file size? I'm trying to import .wire/.stl files of around 25MB but I get the spinning 'reading geometry' wheel for upwards of 35mins, and then it often crashes before the model imports.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hartogj
in reply to: ed.stubbs

File size shouldn't be an issue if you are working with an STL around 25MB.

Any chance you can share the file? I'd be glad to take a look if you want to send me a direct message.

Jon

Jon den Hartog

Product Manager
Message 3 of 5
ed.stubbs
in reply to: hartogj

Unfortunately it's on OEM projects so not possible to share.
Typically get a 'beep' after a few minutes. Is there any file-state recommendations / layers etc?
PC is HP Z620 running Windows7with 32GB RAM + NVidia Quadro K4000
Message 4 of 5
hartogj

Okay. Can you try another less sensitive STL model and see if you have the same issue?

If the other model does not work, I'd be glad to troubleshoot it. I have not seen an STL fail to come in before but it likely has something to do with the formatting.

If other models do work then we may need to try a few things to figure out what's going on. I don't have a silver bullet solution would suggest the following approaches.

1) Open Flow Design and start an example model. If it works, then set the solver to 2D and use a low resolution. The try importing your file next - this will minimize the load on the system during import. If it fails after this we know for sure it is something in the geometry format.

2) Try saving out an OBJ or 3DS file and importing those instead of STL

3) If neither of the above work, the next thing I would try is doing a quick surface wrap. Some CAD/Design tools have this capability built in or you can use Project Miller (available at labs.autodesk.com) to do a quick wrap and then output a clean STL. I hope it doesn't come down to this but if necessary this should help.

Jon

Jon den Hartog

Product Manager
Message 5 of 5
ed.stubbs

After a little investigation it was a case of ensuring tesselation option was checked on the OBL save option.

So far so good..!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report