Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split / clone part of FBX node tree - examples / documentation?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Julien_Lynge
592 Views, 1 Reply

Split / clone part of FBX node tree - examples / documentation?

I'm struggling to try and understand how I can split / clone off a part of the node hierarchy of an FBX file.

As a bit of background:

I'm attempting to pull in gigantic FBX files from architects, and using the FBX SDK, split those giant files into smaller chunks.  For instance, if I had a file come in with 2+ million polygons, I may want to split it into 500k polygon chunks, then save out each of those chunks to a different file.  I'm attempting to do this in C++ - I have a C#/Java background, so it seems like the easiest of the available languages to use.

I started out looking at the examples, and figuring out how to pull in a file, read through the nodes & attributes, and write the file back out - that wasn't too bad.

I then started stumbling through the code trying to figure out what is possible, since there's really no documentation / manual other than the script reference.  I first tried to write a recursive method that would use DeepCloneWithNodeAttributes.  

However, I was having various issues with it, and I ran across CloneManager and CloneSet.  I wrote some code to try and use it, but I can't seem to get AddDependents to work - the hierarchy always ends up flat in the output file, rather than nested as with the input file.

/////////////////////////////////

At this point, I feel like I'm just groping blindly in the dark.  I don't have enough information, nor C++ experience, to try and guess what's going on with these methods and how I should be using them.

What I could really use is an example, or an explanation of how to split up / copy parts of a node hierarchy, if someone can point me to them.

Alternatively, I would love to sit down with someone who is an expert with the SDK and either have them walk through the code with me or just fix it for me.  I'd be happy to pay for the work, since I can't really afford to spend much more time flailing.

Thanks!

-Julien

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi Julien,

I have the exact same problem and I come from the same background.

I was wondering if you'd found a way to do this through the SDK in the end?

Thanks!

Olivier

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report