Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Wavefront OBJ materials

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
671 Views, 3 Replies

Importing Wavefront OBJ materials

Hello,

I'm using the FBX SDK to import OBJ files and their corresponding MTL files. It seems like many MTL properties are not being converted to their FBX equivalents. For example, while diffuse textures are supported, specular, bump and reflection maps do not seem to be.

I'm using this site as a reference:

http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/mtl/

Are there any plans to support more MTL properties?

Kind regards,

--Ian

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you ever figure out anything with this old issue. I am using an older SDK (I think 2012.2) but the OBJ file support does not support bump maps, reflection maps, etc. It certainly would be nice to have that working. Is there a newer SDK version where that is working?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I ended up writing my own .MTL parser.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Old post but...

Ya know how I fix a lotta issues when working with OBJ files is to export something from the app Im going to be importing into and than looking at the 2 files and see where the differences are.

One that got me was the comments .. they start with #

A lot of importers can't handle them being anywhere after the actual data starts.

Some exportes write just 'Bump" or "bump" for the bump map texture but it actually needs to be "map_bump"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report